turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Whitetails in turkey season.

Started by allaboutshooting, October 28, 2011, 08:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

It seems that this happens in some way every turkey season, spring and fall.

I'll be out sitting up against a tree, in full camo and a deer or several deer will come right up to me. They never seem to see me or smell me. I've had them, like this year, less than 5 feet from me.

I used to bow hunt for deer many days each season. I'd wash my clothes in baking soda or some scent free detergent, air dry them and then put them in a plastic bag with pine boughs and pine cone or some "fresh earth" wafers.

I showered in scent free soap wouldn't even use a scented Kleenex to blow my nose.

I watched what I ate and avoided foods with lingering odors.

I wore "appropriate" camo and none of my body was exposed.

I'd carefully avoid cooking odors, gasoline and put a cover scent on my boot soles. I'd sit painfully still for what seemed to be hours, with a full bladder.

Still, many times I'd get busted. A deer would look at me, snort and be gone.

When I'm turkey hunting, I can get up in the morning,fry eggs and bacon, wear clothes that haven't been laundered in weeks, pay no attention to the wind direction, move occasionally and still have deer try to run over me.

What gives? Do any of you have the same experience?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

hookedspur

I Agree TOTALLY ,whats up with that  ??? ??? ???
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

timbrhuntr

redarrow

Oh yeah that sounds familiar. Total camo one day squirrel hunting and had a button buck and doe fawn that wanted to sit in my lab. Go figure.

HARDCORE

I've had the same encounters with several types of game during their "off" season. We've had turkeys come out into the fields while we're cutting and feed on bugs not far behind the tractor.

Deer often walk within a few feet of me while turkey hunting, see me and often never even get spooked.

I think they know, somehow, when it's on or it isn't. lol

The only exception I've noticed for the most part is with predators and wild hogs, they're always in season, in Alabama anyways so they are always being pursued and shot at year round.

HC

Hognutz

I think it means that scent free products are over rated. Every year thousands of gun hunters shower up and put the scent free clothes on , spray themselves down, and then carry a gun into the woods that smells like Hoppe's # 9. Then the breath 50 times a minute with who knows what on their breath. Throw in a few farts from the supper and beverage from the night before, and then they shoot the buck they've been chasin' for 11 months. Does human scent matter? Probably. But not to the extent that a lot of people think. Just my humble opinion, and your mileage may vary..Mike   ;D
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

GOLD HUNTER

yep i do all that stuff while bow hunting for deer and i can go fall turkey hunting and it  happens to me every year, deer just want to see what im up to....like they know we not going to shoot them while turkey hunting.

i hate that.......... :angry9:

brian

stinkpickle

Plain and simple...deer know when it's deer season.  ;)

mossy835

Quote from: stinkpickle on October 29, 2011, 12:42:46 AM
Plain and simple...deer know when it's deer season.  ;)
Yes  they do, I was hunting early fall for turkeys as BP deer season ended over the mountain. One two point buck was laying down 30 feet from me and never spooked for over two hours. Same area that afternoon 3 more deer ate and watched me in an open field not 50 yards  away for an hour and never ran.?????

longspur

Had a doe come up to me while turkey hunting from behind on my left. She's about 10 yds. I'm covered in insect repellant. She brouses on in front of me and never acts like anything else is around. Oh well, the wind must be drifting away from her. then she starts comming back just brousing on vines and stuff right by me on my right and back the way she came. She was less than 10yds on my right and never looked. I've been tempted to spray that stuff all over me and go bow hunting ;D. The only common denominator I can think of is breeding season approaching. Deer and turkeys both are not the same animals during breeding season.

vaturkey

Im just glad turkeys cant smell !!   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Turkey Trot

The deer and turkey trade places in fall and spring as the annoyance for a hunter.   ;D

I wonder if the scenting conditions are markedly different between spring and fall that makes it harder for deer to smell us in the the spring. 

I've had them walking all around me while I was on the ground and thought, "This would never happen during deer season."  But I have to admit that I've been up in a stand perfectly still and had them all around me and under me and they never knew I was there.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Devastator

Quote from: vaturkey on October 29, 2011, 09:53:45 AM

Im just glad turkeys cant smell !!   :newmascot:
yep,we would never kill one.

Crappiepro

You have to blame it on that one guy. whats his name, Murphy! as in Murphy's Law! LOL

flintlock

It is funny how that does happen!

Hunt fall turks w/a bow and stick em all.   :)
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!