turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which boot?

Started by davisd9, October 19, 2011, 11:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Hello. I am going to ask for a new pair of rubber boots this Christmas for Turkey season.  I live in upstate SC but travel the state hunting.  Which boot out of Muck, Boggs, and the new Under Armour would you choose and why?  Any one with experience with any of these boots please chime in.  Thanks!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

lightsoutcalls

I've owned Mucks and LaCrosse Alpha Burly boots.  I liked the Mucks to be able to roll down the neoprene tops to cool my legs a bit.  You can't do that with the LaCrosse boots.  On the other hand, the first time I wore my Mucks, I nearly ripped through the neoprene tops in a small briar patch.  The LaCrosse boots are more durable in briars and such. 
I haven't owned the others.  Have you had a chance to try them on?  The 2 brands I have owned run WAY different on sizing.   
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

davisd9

Have not tried them on yet but was going to do that after some opinons.  I forgot about the LaCrosse Alpha and am interested in them also.  Thanks for your reply.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gobbler74

I've used a pair of lacrosse alpha lite boots in 3 mil as one of my go toos for 4 years. They are light, fit well and roll down. They've taken a beating with no holes or seam issues. Hope they keep making them. Swampy hollows, creeks and high grass logging roads are a regular part of my spring terrain.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Turkey Trot

Consider the European and Scandinavian boots, they have great design features, often have replaceable soles, and they aren't made in China.  The drawback is the currency exchange rate and price, but those boots will last longer.  The fitting may be an issue too because they are in Euro sizes and you need to use a conversion chart.  A leather lining, Outlast, or jersey will be cooler than neoprene.

Brands:  Hunter, Aigle, Le Chameau, Nokian.

I have not seen the Irish Setters first hand, but they appear to have interesting features.

Nokian Trek 100 is a great boot, the drawback is that it does not have an adjustable upper for heavy clothing or big calves.  One would have to order from Canada and figure out the fitting.  It used to be part of the same Nokia that makes tires and cell phones.

http://www.nokianfootwear.com/

http://www.nokianfootwear.fi/eng/

Aigle:  Look at the Parcours Vario.

http://www.aigleboots.com/

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

vaturkey

I've used Muck Woody Sport for two springs & really like them !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

MarkJM

I have a pair of muck boots that I have had for 3 years and they havent failed me yet. I would go with the 200 insulated ones. they are light weight and also warm.
MuellerCustomCalls

Reloader

I've been wearing LaCrosse Lagrange unins for about 15yrs and love them for hunting in La.  I also wear Burly 800s or 1200s for deer season here or out of state in cooler weather.  I've used the 1200s down to -13deg. The Lacrosse ins boots are comfy, but I've had to put gel insoles in the unins for turkey hunting and lots of walking. 

I also like the Mucks for turkey hunting when it's cool out. Lacrosse is not as comfy as Muck, but they are far more durable and taller for deeper water.  The Mucks are hot when it warms up or you walk a long ways and they stink like old sneakers after a while, which is why I don't like them for deer hunting. The neoprene tears easily on the Mucks as well. 

I decided to wear Redhead Bayou zip-up snake boots this year and must say I've never owned a more comfy pair of boots. The things are as comfy as Nikes.  Time will tell if they stay waterproof.
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Bayou-Zip-Camo-Waterproof-NonInsulated-Snake-Boots-for-Men/product/10210225/85171#reviews

mikejd

I know these were not on your list but the Cabelas  brand ( i believe sport trax ) uninsulated  are the best boots I have ever owned. I have been using the same pair for about 9 or 10 yrs now. I turkry hunt with them, Deer hunt all seasons bow, muzzle loader and rifle season. I accasionally fish in them. I even had to do a few work parties in them do to rain. Im not just babbleing here just giving you an idea of the abuse these boots can take. Everyone I convinced to buy them has agreed with me.

gobbler74

Zippered boots have given me trouble when jammed up with mud. I'm looking for another pair of spring boots for the mountain terrain. I wore rocky prohunters for years..they must have been made too well. I can find the same model
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

WyoHunter

I've got Muck and LaCrosse and like the Muck boot best mainly because they're very comfortable to walk in and they aren't real heavy. I encounter cactus and yucca in the areas I hunt and can maneuver around them. I don't do any brush busting with mine. Another reason is the Muck boots are very easy to get off.   
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

KYFrid

If your wanting some snake protection too. My brother has the Bogz copperhead rubber boots. They are nice boots.

Wingbone

The Muck and UnderArmour are very comfortable but for turkey hunting they are too bulky for me. The Lacrosse Alpha Lite is extremely comfortable and light weight. I also have the Burly and they have been good to me as well just a little warm in spring.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

sugarray

Quote from: mikejd on October 19, 2011, 09:05:51 PM
I know these were not on your list but the Cabelas  brand ( i believe sport trax ) uninsulated  are the best boots I have ever owned. I have been using the same pair for about 9 or 10 yrs now. I turkry hunt with them, Deer hunt all seasons bow, muzzle loader and rifle season. I accasionally fish in them. I even had to do a few work parties in them do to rain. Im not just babbleing here just giving you an idea of the abuse these boots can take. Everyone I convinced to buy them has agreed with me.

I agree whole heartedly!!!  My Cabela's duratrax uninsulated are awesome!!  I wear them all turkey season and then through most of deer season!  Comfy, light weight and durable.  Only $100 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobblestopper

Haven't tried any of the others mentioned here but my Muck Woody Max boots have served me pretty well through over ten years of hard duty in the field (turkey, pheasant, grouse, deer, shed hunting, stream side and many walk-abouts) and else where.  Good ankle fit, easy on/off, relatively light weight, semi-descent self-cleaning treads, pretty quite for stalking. The feature I really like for descending slippery steep sided hills and ravines is the extra lugs provided where the rounded part of the rear sole wraps up and around the back side of the heel. A great design addition you don't find on alot of other boots but should really look for when choosing one! Also helps keep you on your feet when stepping over dead falls and other obstacles. Down sides are the thin cloth covering on the uppers and barb wire crossings and busting through the thorny stuff leads to small snags/tears in the covering.  None really through the Neoprene and no leaks yet but...., Slippery on glare ice and slimmy logs like many rubber boots and like most neos, generally too warm for temps over 60 degrees if your doing alot of walking. Maybe too pricey for some. Boot drier needed for day after day use.
Key when looking for a boot is to check how soft or pliable the sole is under thumb/thumbnail pressure! Harder usually means more cheap PVC content in the material that will get hard&slippery when cold, provide poor wear quality and slip resistance, and be more prone to splits and cracks from bending.  Softer usually means more Urethane which is a lot better, but certainly will have to pay more to get.