OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any Black powder Hunters out there

Started by killer, February 16, 2011, 10:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killer

I have just received word that my Dad may be forced into selling our farm due to family feud (he owns 1/2 and his brother owns 1/2).  Anyway I have a turkey heaven right now but I realize I probably won't find a place that good again that I can afford.  I do know of some good public land but its primitive weapons only and only accessible by boat.  I will take my bow of course but I also have a encore and thought about a black powder shotgun.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  How far are they affective?  Any suggested loads, powder, wads, etc.?   

hobbes

That sucks about the family farm.  I've got a grandfather in poor health that will leave the farm to my mother and aunt.  I don't expect a fued, but I hope they both have the same ideas on keeping it. 

I don't shoot BP but there are guys on here that do.  Just keeping you near the top.

joey46

I have a post (Muzzleloading Shotguns) that is probably on page 2 by know.  In over a week it has only been viewed 60 times.  Very little interest.  Knight Muzzleloaders has been bought out and is back in production.  They are pre-selling their TK2000 with a March delivery date.  A good deal since it includes a case and free shipping.  Find it from their home page.  It will not show up if you click on shotguns.  If you find any other muzzleloader deals please post them up.  I've been looking for one of the older T/C New Englander percussion guns that came with three screw in chokes.  Nobody is selling them.  Good luck.  

T/C may still make a muzzleloader barrel for your Encore.  If you aren't an anti-NWTF guy their Shotgun forum has multiple post from some very knowledgeable MZ shotgun guys.  Check it out.

killer

I can still get a barrel for it from T/C or some other dealers I know.

paladin

100 grains Blackhorn 209
Tps 3.5" 12 wad
2oz nickle plated #5
20 grains buffer
foam overshot card cut from meat tray with 12 ga choke tube.
Win 209 primer(standard)
"have gun-will travel"

Mailman

just idea, can you buy the brother (uncle out) Maybe sell by sections and purcase just the wooded area.
One Shot One Kill

DocHolliday

Sucks about he farm.  I shoot a Pedersolli 12 ga SXS double.

killer

Quote from: paladin on February 17, 2011, 04:53:27 PM
100 grains Blackhorn 209
Tps 3.5" 12 wad
2oz nickle plated #5
20 grains buffer
foam overshot card cut from meat tray with 12 ga choke tube.
Win 209 primer(standard)

I've never shot a blackpowder shotgun before.  How does one load it?  Same as a .50 cal.?  What is a foam overshot card cut from a meat tray?

hookedspur

Not with a shotgun but I bet it would be fun.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

njdevilsb

I'm just getting into black powder muzzle loading myself.  I haven't had much time to test loads yet, but I am looking forward to having some fun with it this spring.

tominator

I shoot a White Rifles Tominator have for about 6 years now, all I use for turkey. I have been using,
100gr Clearshot FFg
two felt wads
3" multimetal cup 12 gauge.
#5 magnum shot cup full
styrofoam over shot wad.

knocks em down DRT!
Smoke Em When Ya See Em

bencattin

Here in Georgia we cam use "Any Muzzle Loading Rifle". I have taken a 2 in the past with a 45 cal. and a Patched round ball. This year I am going to shoot a 50 Cal. with a patched round ball since I run into hogs on the WMA that I hunt. 

Shooting the PRB requires that you shoot them low in the body just above the drum sticks. It has worked well so far.

Ben.
IF TURKEYS COULD SMELL WE WOULD NEVER KILL ONE!

joey46

Sometimes rifle hunting can be met with disdain on these forums but using a .45 MZL sounds plenty fair to me.  I have a open sight .32 T/C Cherokee that can be loaded pretty hot with a maxi-ball (103 gr maxi-ball, 50gr FFFG, 1749fps, 700 ft#). I had considered using it in a Florida muzzleloader only public area.   The rules changed this year and all rifles are out.  I fooled them.  I saw where Knight will pre order their TK2000 MZL shotgun for a $50.00 deposit.  Mine's now "on order".  Should be fun to play with.   I have wanted a MZL shotgun for some time.  The older percussion guns must be like gold since nobody seems to want to part with them.

bencattin

My 45 cal is a Kentucky rifle and the 50 cal is a Southern poor boy by TVM. Both are modeled after guns that were in use before shotguns were.

Both of mine are traditional. No scopes or camo.

Ben.
IF TURKEYS COULD SMELL WE WOULD NEVER KILL ONE!

willy8457

I use T/C prohunter 12 gauge muzzleloader   ,

75 grains of triple seven powder
1 felt wad
3 inch  plastic shot cup
2 oz of #5 lead shot
1 felt wad

Knocks him flat