turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help getting started duck hunting

Started by MarkJM, October 13, 2011, 09:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrophyTracker

They will most likely come back. Just get in there early and chill out. See what goes on and try to kill any that pop in on their own. Once you break the ice, then I would say give some calling a try and get more comfortable with it. You won't be second guessing yourself as much if there are a couple birds floating face down already  :you_rock:

Good luck and keep us posted!
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

MarkJM

Went out this a little late this morning and didnt see a thing. I dont have any duck calls yet so I didnt do any calling. I have called ducks with my natural voice before. I was wondering if ducks are like deer. just like a deer has its fields, do they have their ponds they like to feed on in the mornings and evenings?
MuellerCustomCalls

Old Gobbler

Most important is finding a good place to hunt , if there is nearby hunting get dialed in with it asap and hook up with any local knowledge possible -

Your gonna need some gear , avoid all the gadgets and such in the beginning until you figure out what you need badly -

1) Shotgun , I assume you have one already so your okay with that

2) Most likely you will need some waders - Cheap ones will get you by until you find some nicer ones - take good care of them !!!!  and they will last ----, unless you will be doing a boat only tactic

3) You may need a boat , the most practical boat for you is whatever works best this can be anything   from a simple canoe all the way to a powered boat - check local craigslist listings

4) Decoys....  don't scrimp on these get the best ones you can afford and take care of them and they will last you - Buy a dozen or two each year until you build up your spread  - Buy they species that is most common in your area and everyone hunts -

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

MarkJM

Quote from: Old Gobbler on October 18, 2011, 08:28:29 PM
Most important is finding a good place to hunt , if there is nearby hunting get dialed in with it asap and hook up with any local knowledge possible -

Your gonna need some gear , avoid all the gadgets and such in the beginning until you figure out what you need badly -

1) Shotgun , I assume you have one already so your okay with that

2) Most likely you will need some waders - Cheap ones will get you by until you find some nicer ones - take good care of them !!!!  and they will last ----, unless you will be doing a boat only tactic

3) You may need a boat , the most practical boat for you is whatever works best this can be anything   from a simple canoe all the way to a powered boat - check local craigslist listings

4) Decoys....  don't scrimp on these get the best ones you can afford and take care of them and they will last you - Buy a dozen or two each year until you build up your spread  - Buy they species that is most common in your area and everyone hunts -

well i've got the gun, chest waders, and boat. I need to get me some good decoys. I have been seeing some on ebay.. I'll post the link and tell me what you think of these decoys. we have a vast amount of mallards so I think they will be the prey
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-AVERY-GREENHEAD-GEAR-GHG-HBII-MALLARD-DUCK-DECOYS-NEW-/400245051876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3076d1e4
MuellerCustomCalls

Kylongspur88

Two words for you, "JERK STRING." I made mine out of a boat anchor, 3ft bungee cord, and black twine, same stuff I used on my decoys. Don't go out and buy a majo, if it's legal in your state. Rig up a few decoys to the jerk string and it works like magic. I had a mojo, sold it. I have killed more birds over a dozen good looking decoys and a jerk string than any big spread I put out. I mainly hunted smaller waters, and rivers. Also once you get the hang of calling it's easy to call way to much and way too loud. Might be able to find a DU chapter close with some guys willing to take you.

handcannon

Well you guys have helped answer a few questions of mine as well. Good input.

ccleroy

Quote from: savduck on October 13, 2011, 05:42:30 PM
Dont start out buck wild. Instead of buying a bunch of gear, spend the money on gas to go SCOUT. You can kill plenty of ducks with no calls and just a few decoys if you find where they want to be. Go early and late.

Learn proper duck hunting etique. Many dont, and hunting near those guys isnt fun. You dont need to shoot a full choke if you almost  let their feet hit the water.

X10,000