OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.204 Ruger ?

Started by wisconsinteacher, October 07, 2011, 09:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I have a question.  I love to shoot and reload.  I am looking at a .204 for a 300 yard bench rifle.  I would reload for it and would like to have another rifle to take to the range while shooting my 22-250.  My 22-250 has a standard barrel and is easy to carry, so I would use that of coyote hunting.  I am thinking about a Savage with a heavy barrel.  What do you think about this idea?  If it helps, I can get a very good deal on a new rifle and scope.  I know many people will say get a .223, but I do not really want another .22 cal rifle.

coyotetrpr

I think that you would be making a mistake not taking the 204 coyote hunting and leaving the 22-250 for a bench gun. My personal experience with the 204 on dogs is nothing less than fantastic. Hope this helps. One last thing, in my opinion the 204 with 32gr vmax bullet is the best round for coyotes available. Hit in solid shoulder there is usually no exit hole.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

wisconsinteacher

I don't coyote hunt that much so it is not my biggest worry.  I like the idea of the 204 for shooting because of the very low recoil, small amounts of powder for reloading and the ability to shoot a number of shots and not heating the barrel up too much.  Like mentioned before, I enjoy shooting and reloading so other than the 204, what would you look at as far as cal?

Woodsman4God

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on October 08, 2011, 10:06:34 AM
I don't coyote hunt that much so it is not my biggest worry.  I like the idea of the 204 for shooting because of the very low recoil, small amounts of powder for reloading and the ability to shoot a number of shots and not heating the barrel up too much.  Like mentioned before, I enjoy shooting and reloading so other than the 204, what would you look at as far as cal?

Everything I have read is thats a great little gun, for all the reasons you have meade, cheaper to shoot than a 223 because of less powder, lower recoil etc... definately a good gun and flatter shooting than 22 calibers the only drawback is windage, the drift more than 22 calibers

CB on the run

I have the heavy barreled Ruger 204 and was shooting 1/2" at 100 with the 39 grain speer polymer tipped bullets.  I'd have to check on the power.
It seemed to drift a bit with the wind.  If I was putting together a bench gun especially over 200 yards, I'd look at the 6.5 calibers.  I think the 6.5 Grendel has low recoil and a good BC for the bullet.

CB