turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

World Championship Still Target Shoot

Started by allaboutshooting, October 04, 2011, 09:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

The 2011 Still Target World Championship was probably the most competitive that I have participated in or witnessed. It was just plain tough competition and every class was hard fought. My congratulations to all of the participants and winners.

12 Gauge Open Class

Steve Conover - Indian Creek Choke

12 Gauge Hunter Class

Bobby Sears - JEB's Choke

20 Gauge Lady's Class

Doris Bush - Truglo SSX Choke

20 Gauge Open Class

Kari Scott - Indian Creek Choke

20 Gauge JAKES Class

Caleb Gilreath - Indian Creek Choke

12 Gauge Muzzle Loader Class

Brian Sloan - Indian Creek Choke

All shooters won with Hevi-13 Shotshells with #6 shot. The 12 gauge shells were the "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of shot and the 20 gauge shells had 1.25 oz. of shot.

Just a little background information on this shoot may be interesting. We shoot 2 days, beginning at 8:00 a.m. each day, shoot until 6:00 p.m. the first day and then until the winners have been determined on the 2nd day. That was about 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Friday and half the day on Saturday are "qualifying" days in which you earn seats (positions) in the semi-finals which begin on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. You may bring "Open" seats to the event by earning a win or second place in state or regional competitions but all of the "Hunter" seats must be earned at the championship event.

In the semi-finals, all winners are put in squads and winnowed down until there are only 4 winners. That becomes the "final four" and those shooters compete against each other until one shooter has won 2 times. That shooter is the champion.

It's a tough competition. There are 2 very long days, shooting fully power 3" turkey loads each day. At this shoot the wind blew constantly and the temperatures varied a good bit from the 40s to the 70s.

We had as many or more JAKES than at any shoot I've been and that was a great sign of things to come.

For the first time, 3 of the 4 finalists in the 20 gauge open were women and a woman won that class for the first time.

We had a brand new choke company, JEB's chokes take the Hunter Class.

We had a great shoot, great food, excellent prizes and I'd invite anyone who has an interest to come and compete next year. I'd also encourage you to look for an event that's close to you and give it a try.

Lastly, we were told that the NWTF intends to have more shooting events next year than ever before and not just still target shoots. I'm sure there will be more information about all of this forthcoming.

Again, my congratulations to everyone who participated and to those who won their class.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

stinkpickle

Congrats to all the winners!   :you_rock:

BTW, were all the H-13 shells from the same lot?   :D

REDMAN

Congrats to all the winners. a special congrats to my good friend Bobby Sears  of JEBS CHOKE TUBES . He won the 12 ga. hunter class . Bobby and Jimmy worked really hard and there work paid off .

vaturkey

Thanks for the info Clark ! Congrats to all the winners especially your wife Clark for winning the 20 ga lady's class !   :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

allaboutshooting

Quote from: stinkpickle on October 04, 2011, 10:09:59 AM
Congrats to all the winners!   :you_rock:

BTW, were all the H-13 shells from the same lot?   :D

I apologize but I really have no idea. We are given a shell at the line and we shoot what we are handed. I don't know of anyone who tried to find out the lot numbers of the shells.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: REDMAN on October 04, 2011, 10:30:17 AM
Congrats to all the winners. a special congrats to my good friend Bobby Sears  of JEBS CHOKE TUBES . He won the 12 ga. hunter class . Bobby and Jimmy worked really hard and there work paid off .

Bobby did an amazing job. He'd never competed in one of these events prior to coming to Edgefield on Friday. He had to win all of his seats there, so the playing field is perfectly level in the Hunter Class. He could not have done better!

I was able to meet both Bobby and Jimmy in person at the shoot and both are fine men, real gentlemen and even in victory were very modest. They are good folks and obviously make a fine product.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: vaturkey on October 04, 2011, 12:32:27 PM
Thanks for the info Clark ! Congrats to all the winners especially your wife Clark for winning the 20 ga lady's class !   :icon_thumright:

You're welcome for the information and thank you for the kind words to Doris. It was her 3rd World Championship but the hardest fought of any of them. She was also in the final four of the 20 gauge open class.

Thanks again,
Clark

Old Gobbler

Congrats to all the winners  !!!!! :happy0064: :z-winnersmiley:   :z-guntootsmiley:
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

3" 870 Shell Shucker

A Bush wins again.  You Bush's are tough!!!

RE: JEBS chokes.  They won at the worlds.  I don't mind if they talk a little friendly, polite, smack if they want to.  They won.  Congratulations.

I see Indian Creek was pretty dominant.  They won 4 out of 6 divisions.  Their trophy room has got to be huge by now.

What a great sport.