OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any one know what this phrase is from?

Started by Beretta686, October 01, 2011, 10:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beretta686

My children are 18 and 20 years old and at dinner the other night my daughter made a noise and I said, "Is it live or is it Memorex?" they looked at me like I had lost my mind, they had no clue what I was talking about. I explained it to my kids and they said I was just too old.

So I went to work and asked a half dozen employees ages from 18-25 the same question and none had ever heard that line.

Does anyone know where the phrase comes from?

Anyone remember Mother Tums TV Commercials? That was my Grandmother
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

MaxTom

If I remember correct it was a commercial for memorex audio tapes, in the commercial they would have a singer recorded on tape and replay it and show it shattering a glass, back then audio tape sound was crappy, and they showed the glass breaking and then would say is it live or is it memorex, implying that you couldnt tell,

Beretta686

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

hookedspur

Quote from: MaxTom on October 01, 2011, 10:28:21 AM
If I remember correct it was a commercial for memorex audio tapes, in the commercial they would have a singer recorded on tape and replay it and show it shattering a glass, back then audio tape sound was crappy, and they showed the glass breaking and then would say is it live or is it memorex, implying that you couldnt tell,

:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Ol'Mossy

I remember the commercial and say it all the time  ;D

Mr16Gauge

That's how I remember it also

Google says 1971 with Ella Fitzgerald

GOLD HUNTER

Old Gobbler

Guess I am old too ! remember that commercial all to well
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

natman

Don't feel bad. I once remarked that the steering on my mother's 1966 Buick was like "winding your watch". My daughter had no idea what that meant. 

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Crappiepro

How about "Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz, "Oh what a relief it is" My buddies and I had a ball with that one when we were kids LOL!

Basser69

Guys y'all are making me feel old.....Guess I am

TalksToTurkeys

I remember 8 track players in muscle cars.   :help: