turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Health and fitness

Started by 4nwtf, February 15, 2011, 11:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4nwtf

Who all works out on a regular basis?  Any good high protein diets you guys using?  I work out 5 days a week most weeks.  I have gotten back on a good high protein low carb diet.  Just thought we might learn something new that can help with our health/fitness.

old frank

I wish I did. I went on a Low Carb diet about 13 years ago and I went from 200 to 170. I kept it off for the three years I worked but since I have been retired nine years I have put 25 of it back on.

Too much sitting around and snacking in front of the TV. I try to walk/run three or four days a week and I rarely eat fast food but it seems the older we get, the easier the weight comes on.

gatrapper

I am a health food nut.  Not in the best of shape currently.  Injured my back and shoulder and got up to 230.  Im down to 195 though, not to shabby for being 6'3. 

I haven't had soda since 2006.
I haven't had fast food since 2007.
I don't drink.
Im pretty big into organic foods as well.  I eat a lot of boiled chicken, salads, fruits, etc.  All I drink really is water, apple juice every now and then lol.  I try to buy all nitrate and preservative free foods as well.

Up here at college I run several nights a week and I am just slowly getting back into the weights since I have been feeling better. 
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Skeeterbait

I am REAL good at loosing weight... not so good at keeping it off.  Every year I drop 25 to 30 pounds and will be jogging 4-5 miles a day just before turkey season.  Then wind up putting it back on over the course of the year.  Not healthy I know.  I can be highly diciplined for a couple of months but not perpetually.

Jay

I'm a physical specimen that doesn't need much work. I just don't photo well, and have a tendency to look like a fat old man. ::)

Hognutz

You took the words right out of my mouth, brother Jay..I had the urge to go jogging one day. So I layed down 'till it went away..I'm better now.. :icon_thumright: Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

redarrow

I have put my self on a diet since July 1st. Went from 255-260 down to 215.I'm mainly just calorie counting. 1500 -2000 max per day. No junk food to speak of. The occasional candy bar.Looking forward to doing some walking soon as the snow melts.Hope to be at 200 by mid April.

Jay

Quote from: redarrow on February 16, 2011, 09:59:17 AM
I have put my self on a diet since July 1st. Went from 255-260 down to 215.I'm mainly just calorie counting. 1500 -2000 max per day. No junk food to speak of. The occasional candy bar.Looking forward to doing some walking soon as the snow melts.Hope to be at 200 by mid April.
260? HOLY TWINKIE!! Did the rest of the family get anything to eat :TooFunny:

redarrow

Quote from: Jay on February 16, 2011, 10:12:43 AM
Quote from: redarrow on February 16, 2011, 09:59:17 AM
260? HOLY TWINKIE!! Did the rest of the family get anything to eat :TooFunny:
Hey ,play nice Pops. :TooFunny:  I forgot to add that I am 9 feet tall. So I wear it well. :goofball:

hobbes

Quote from: Jay on February 16, 2011, 09:07:02 AM
I'm a physical specimen that doesn't need much work. I just don't photo well, and have a tendency to look like a fat old man. ::)
:TooFunny:

My eating habits are not the best, so I'd be interested in seeing a good high protein diet.   I have been following an exercise program recently.  I have the same problem as skeeterbait in that my usual routine is to work out hard, mostly running and cardio, for a couple months before elk season then nothing.  These darn mountains aren't getting any easier for elk or turkeys, so I'm trying to change that habit.

stinkpickle

I teach cardio/kickboxing classes, and this is some advice I give to new students...

First of all, I would recommend to anyone first starting out to take all of your meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), cut the portion sizes in half, and eat six times a day, instead....about every three hours.  Your body will be less apt to store what it doesn't immediately require as fat. 

Step #2 would be to start doubling the amount of water you drink.  Basically, keep drinking water until you pee clear.  Having a glass of water before and after each meal will help you feel full, also.  WATER ONLY!  SODA DOES NOT COUNT!

Step #3 would be to start cutting down on "enriched" foods.  Try to use "whole grain" substitutes whenever you can.

Step #4 would be to start cutting down on anything containing high fructose corn syrup. 

Step #5 would be to double your raw vegetable intake and dietary fiber. 

Step #6 would be to give yourself one free meal per week.  Eat or drink whatever you want and however much of it you want.  :)

Overall, you don't have to deprive yourself of anything (unless you have a medical condition, of course).  Strive for a balance of proteins and good carbohydrates.  Your body needs some of everything...just in moderation.

And as for exercise, find a balance of cardio and strength training to best compliment your new diet.  It takes a long time to put on weight.  Don't rush and try to take it all back off at once...that only increases the chances of you burning out and ballooning back up again.  1-2 pounds per week is ideal.

renegade19

Quote from: Jay on February 16, 2011, 09:07:02 AM

Very well played sir! :wave:

renegade19

On the serious side though I try to do alot of cardio and some light weight training.  It helps alot during the season.

sugarray

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 16, 2011, 11:22:53 AM
I teach cardio/kickboxing classes, and this is some advice I give to new students...

First of all, I would recommend to anyone first starting out to take all of your meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), cut the portion sizes in half, and eat six times a day, instead....about every three hours.  Your body will be less apt to store what it doesn't immediately require as fat.  

Step #2 would be to start doubling the amount of water you drink.  Basically, keep drinking water until you pee clear.  Having a glass of water before and after each meal will help you feel full, also.  WATER ONLY!  SODA DOES NOT COUNT!

Step #3 would be to start cutting down on "enriched" foods.  Try to use "whole grain" substitutes whenever you can.

Step #4 would be to start cutting down on anything containing high fructose corn syrup.  

Step #5 would be to double your raw vegetable intake and dietary fiber.  

Step #6 would be to give yourself one free meal per week.  Eat or drink whatever you want and however much of it you want.  :)

Overall, you don't have to deprive yourself of anything (unless you have a medical condition, of course).  Strive for a balance of proteins and good carbohydrates.  Your body needs some of everything...just in moderation.

And as for exercise, find a balance of cardio and strength training to best compliment your new diet.  It takes a long time to put on weight.  Don't rush and try to take it all back off at once...that only increases the chances of you burning out and ballooning back up again.  1-2 pounds per week is ideal.

Great information, I have a masters in Exercise Physiology, but have forgotten much of it.  I only have so much room up there.  #6 is something I try to get my patients to understand as well.  It is important to have little splurges occasionally to keep your mind right and to not burn out.  Also, this Biggest Looser society we have now, there are too many unrealistic goals and thus too many unnecessary failures.

Also, back on the treadmill and pushups this morning.  Day #1

jv

I have got to lose some weight woe back up a minute.... i got to lose a lot of weight, been retired from the fire service about 5 years and have put on several pounds......about 50  would be close.....now weigh about 290 and need to get back down to around 200 at least. Have bad knees and need to get both replaced. I just starting a diet and walk when my knees will let me....i know it will be a slow go but i think i can do it......i need to get back to where i can run and gun after them old turkey bird again besides just set and wait. Today is the first day for the rest of my like and i got to improve it.
Respect the land as well as the game you hunt.