Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Conditioning Crystal with sandpaper sucks!!!

Started by Philippe, September 24, 2011, 03:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

I just got Zink's thunder ridge power hen and tried to condition it with the sandpaper, but it does not work at all! I can see where they have a small spot started on the call but they did not use sand paper. Also in their video the used some sort of grinder or scraper tool to condition the call. Any suggestions on what to do or where to get one of these tools?

TRKYHTR

You can use a conditioning stone to scuff it up. You can usually use an 80 grit or 100 grit to get it started. I don't know why these companies don't scuff the call so the clients can use it. You have no idea how many crystal calls I've had to scuff up because they don't work and the client has no idea how to do it.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Philippe

Quote from: TRKYHTR on September 24, 2011, 05:15:03 PM
You can use a conditioning stone to scuff it up. You can usually use an 80 grit or 100 grit to get it started. I don't know why these companies don't scuff the call so the clients can use it. You have no idea how many crystal calls I've had to scuff up because they don't work and the client has no idea how to do it.

TRKYHTR

I dont see why they just dont sell the conditioner stick with the crystal and glass friction calls, that sand paper just does not cut it! I ventured out to bass pro and got me a stick, we'll see how it does.

Philippe

Well i've tried the Primos stick conditioner, im pretty sure its ruined a good section of that new Zink crystal call. It wont even call now. I have never ever had this issue with friction calls before. I'd like to get ahold of Zink and see what they say.

WillowRidgeCalls

Did you follow the exact same way it was conditioned before, back n forth acrossed it? That's all I use on my glass calls is a stone, but you may need to surface it hard enough to get threw the sandpaper scratches. If you changed the angle any at all that will mess it up.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Also do not wipe or blow the dust off after you surface it, that dust works just like chalk does on a box call, it makes it play a lot easier.
Scott

Philippe

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on September 25, 2011, 12:43:59 AM
Did you follow the exact same way it was conditioned before, back n forth acrossed it? That's all I use on my glass calls is a stone, but you may need to surface it hard enough to get threw the sandpaper scratches. If you changed the angle any at all that will mess it up.

I went the same direction on the call as they did in the small spot they have on it from the factory. They had to have used a small belt sander or something special to get this perfect grind on it. Both the sandpaper and this stone isnt doing a damn thing :angry9:

WillowRidgeCalls

I'm thinking it may of had an acid surface spot on it. You'll probably have to scrub pretty good to get through it if it's acid, but the stone should cut through it. If you go lightly over it, it just smooth the surface out and the call won't play, the striker just skips over the surface and you get nothing.
Scott

TRKYHTR

Make sure you check the striker. I would try to use a different striker on the call if it works I would condition the striker. Mike Longnecker did a how to condition a pot call. You might want to watch it. If nothing works I would call Zink.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Devastator

get your self some dri wall sanding screen.thats what came with my hooks call and it works awesome.

Longbeardfever4ever

Im pretty aggressive with drywall sanding screen as well.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Philippe

Well guys, good news! I took ya'lls advice and used the sanding screen and it worked perfectly. And I also contacted Zink, those are some stand up guys! Now that I learned what I was doing wrong and got it fixed. This call sounds great, now I just need to experiment with some more strikers. To the guys on here and Josh at Zink, thank you for all your help and dealing with my rants lol.

Devastator

Quote from: Philippe on September 26, 2011, 01:15:09 PM
Well guys, good news! I took ya'lls advice and used the sanding screen and it worked perfectly. And I also contacted Zink, those are some stand up guys! Now that I learned what I was doing wrong and got it fixed. This call sounds great, now I just need to experiment with some more strikers. To the guys on here and Josh at Zink, thank you for all your help and dealing with my rants lol.
no problem man thats what the site is for!

Longbeardfever4ever

Great to hear that!!!
Josh Grossenbacher is a great guy; I've had the pleasure of meeting him and calling against him.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Philippe

Quote from: Longbeardfever4ever on September 26, 2011, 08:48:41 PM
Great to hear that!!!
Josh Grossenbacher is a great guy; I've had the pleasure of meeting him and calling against him.

I agree, we had a very nice conversation thru multiple emails and he helped me out alot. He is a very generous and stand up guy!