turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Treestand lifelines.....

Started by Reloader, September 23, 2011, 03:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

I've made 6 of these and they are simple to make.  I probably have $80 tied up in all 6.  You can buy them already made for around $30-$40, but I don't feel they are near as good of quality.  I bought a well known one and the ropes looked similar to hardware store ropes with simple overhand knots.  You MUST use top quality rescue or climbing grade ropes for these, the cheap stuff will not cut it.  For instance a cheap nylon rope from your hardware store may have a break strength of 2k, where these main lines are 12k.

The main line is 12mm static rescue/safety rope and the Prusik cord is 6mm.  I made the main lines about 22' long not including the knots.  Longer will not hurt.  The Prusik cords are cut about 4' long.  I put a figure 8 loop on one end and a double overhand stopper knot on the other end of the main line.  The Prusik cord ends were tied together with double fisherman's knots and then attached to the main line with a 3 loop Prusik hitch/knot.  I made these for my lock-on stands that have 16' climbing sticks.  I like the loop wrapped around the tree alittle over my head while standing on the platform and the stopper knot about head high from the ground.  I tie the stopper knot end to the climbing stick with nylon twin to keep it snug for sliding the Prusik hitch.  Simply walk up, clip in and you are tied off until you get back on the ground.

You can buy the rescue ropes from climbing stores, they usually sell the ends or cutoffs cheaper.  You may end up buying 20-50' pieces.  The best way I've found to cut the ropes is to wrap electrical tape around the rope for a few wraps and cut in the middle of the tape with a razor knife, then burn the ends with a lighter.

I use a short main line about 10' long for my climbing stands, just move it up and down as you climb or descend.

Have a good one,

Reloader

Turkey Trot

I am familiar with mountaineering and rapelling gear, and I infer that you are essentially employing those concepts as a safety system for a hunter in a tree stand.  But I don't fully understand how you are using the ropes.

Are you tying off and slipping the knot up and down the rope as you ascend and descend?

What kind of harness are you using?

Are you using a carrabeaner? 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Woodsman4God

Quote from: Turkey Trot on September 25, 2011, 12:39:42 PM
I am familiar with mountaineering and rapelling gear, and I infer that you are essentially employing those concepts as a safety system for a hunter in a tree stand.  But I don't fully understand how you are using the ropes.

Are you tying off and slipping the knot up and down the rope as you ascend and descend?

What kind of harness are you using?

Are you using a carrabeaner? 

More than likely a  carabiner attached to prussik and yes you slide it up and down as you ascend/descend that way if you slip going up or down you still dont have a serious accident. From safety training at the plants I have worked in a fall of 6 feet can be fatal.

Reloader   can you message me those details for when I get  on my home  computer so I can copy all that down. I have beenconsidering doing just that more often lately

Thanks Leo

decoykrvr

Ronnie,
Great post!  A good, inexpensive source for the 12mm static rope is to buy it used from technical climbers.  As an old technical climber, I climbed before the advent of mechanical ascenders when Prusik loops were the only option, ropes are periodically replaced depending on age, use, and static/shock loadings.  Most reputable climbers destroy their used ropes or relegate them to uses which don't involve a rappel or belay ie. hauling equipment or supplies.  The relatively short lengths of rope required for use on a treestand mitigates the stretch and stress, and all of the used ropes which I have tested have exceeded the tensile strength/shock requirements to safely use as you've outlined.

Reloader

Turkey trot,

I use a Summit Seat-o-the-pants safety harness and have a caribiner on the tether strap that I bought from a climbing shop.  I also have some Strong Built harnesses that are just like the SOP as well.

Here's a pic of the top of one around the tree above my head while standing on the platform:

Here's a pic of the bottom of one tied off with twine to the ladder:

The twine is just tied on to keep the main line snug, so the Prusik slides easy.  You just walk up, clip onto the Prusik, and slide the Prusik up and down as you climb in or out of your stand.  Keeps you tied in the whole time you're off the ground.

Have a good one,

Reloader

VAHUNTER

if you slip and fall does the Prusik knot tighten up and grab the rope?
Good things come to those who wait

Preacher

I have used a "swiss seat" ( a rope version of a saftey seat , I used repelling out of helicoptors)  you just got to be careful about flipping upside down if you fall.
Romans 8:37

wvboy

I have been doing the same thing for 4 or 5 years now.. but I just bought my Rope from Home Depot .. 3/4 for the Main Line and 1/4 for the Prusik ..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Reloader

Quote from: wvboy on September 30, 2011, 02:04:13 PM
I have been doing the same thing for 4 or 5 years now.. but I just bought my Rope from Home Depot .. 3/4 for the Main Line and 1/4 for the Prusik ..

You should probably consider using the proper rope.  Hardware store rope can easily break during a fall.