OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Muzzleloader

Started by Solid Snake, September 21, 2011, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

The only CVA I owned was junk. It was years ago, they've had to improve or they would have been out of business. I currently shoot a Savage ML with smokeless powder and Dead center bullets. Very good accuracy, very reliable, and very easy to clean. Plus the Accu trigger is great. Before I bought a CVA I'd look for a used Savage or a used Knight. Mississippi all but did away with the muzzle loader season. Now we can hunt with H&R 444, 45-70, or 35 whelen. I hadn't fooled with my ML's since.

lightsoutcalls

I have a CVA Kodiak and love it.  I have killed several deer with it out to 100 yards.  I haven't sighted in beyond that range, so I limit my shots to 100 yards.  I use the power belt bullets with 100 grains of loose 777 powder.  With an inexpensive BSA 3-9x40 scope, I severed a sparrow's head from his body at 20 yards a couple of years ago.  Seriously... body was still intact, head... who knows?

I needed to find one on a budget, and I have no desire to "upgrade" with the accuracy I am getting.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

FireFly908

www.modernmuzzleloader.com would be the place to go to find out about muzzle loaders.  But be aware, you might find out too much.  By that, I mean everybody seems to have a different opinion.  But, they do give a lot of good advice.

Reloader

I have CVA, Knight, TC, and Savage inlines.  My favorite is the TC Omega followed by the Savage, Knight, and CVAs.

I'd look for an Omega if you only intend to shoot sabots.  The Omega, Blackhorn 209, and CCI 209Ms with either 250grn HDY SST/250 TC SW or Barnes 250 TMZs is a great combo.

You should be able to get an Omega on Gun Broker for around $250-$275 shipped.   Saw a NIB stainless for $239 + $15 shipping on GB. 

tiggere

I have a TC Black Diamond and love it...it is super accurate...if I were doing it all over I would get the Encore in a muzzleloader so I could also get a shotgun barrel for turkey and custom rifle barrels from MGM

barry

Quote from: FireFly908 on September 21, 2011, 01:20:26 PM
www.modernmuzzleloader.com would be the place to go to find out about muzzle loaders.  But be aware, you might find out too much.  By that, I mean everybody seems to have a different opinion.  But, they do give a lot of good advice.

Sounds kinda like a turkey hunting forum. :)

ChiefBubba

If I was to get another one it'd be the TC Encore. Nice you can swap out barrels. Chief.

Kylongspur88

Got my Omega new for around 300. Very nice gun. I owned a CVA and it was junk. I will never trust one after a guy I worked with had one explode sending pieces into his eye where he is now blind. No there was not an obstruction and he did not load it hot. I'm pretty sure it ended up in court.

flintlock

Flintlock or bust baby!      :z-guntootsmiley:
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

mikejd

T/C hands down. I have 2 but would have 10  if I could.

Wingbone

I have a CVA Optima and its the most accurate muzzleloader i've ever used. Bought it last year, and have since sold my Knight wolverine and TC Omega. I'm surprised that many on here dislike theirs. Mine will hit the same hole at 100 yds. My buddies have all gone to CVA too and they love theirs.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

lightsoutcalls

Any firearm has the potential to malfunction, thus the warnings all over the boxes and stamped on the barrels.  I did some contract work for an attorney here in town that sued T/C in regards to a contender exploding on a guy.  I wouldn't have a problem buying a T/C even knowing the story behind the malfunction.  The guy claimed to be using it within the limits claimed by the manufacturer. 
I have never used any muzzleloader besides my CVA Kodiak, and I swear by it.  When you can hit the line around the nickel sized 10X mark at 100 yards... that's plenty good for me.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

vaturkey

Quote from: CamoMan4025 on September 21, 2011, 09:09:47 PM
I would also have to vote for the T/C Omega!  They are awesome shooting guns.  I use 100 grains 777 pellets with T/C Shockwave Super Glide Sabots, 250 grain.  It will knock em down!

Exactly What I Shoot !!      :z-winnersmiley:   :newmascot:
Vaturkey