OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wanting a new Predator/Turkey shotgun!

Started by Lon0121, September 19, 2011, 08:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

I think i may get the mossberg 835!  anyone have this and what do you think of it??  I can get it at a store here for $330 brand new in the box.....here is a link of the exact same gun and exact same specs.
http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=2
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

mossy835

I have the 835 and it is very accurate (assuming I do my job) and with the right choke it will take turkeys and yotes (same choke). Nice functional gun!

Lon0121

cool deal,  it comes with an extended choke screwed into the barrel already!  does anyone know anything about this choke and what size it is??  can i shoot buckshot out of it?
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

SumToy

You get a good choke in them they are bad boys.  If keep shot at a normal rang you get by with one choke. If you want the max out of it  I would put choke for buckshot and turkey.   Now the choke that is in the gun you need to look at.  You don't want to choke buckshot real small 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

davisd9

The choke is .665.  Here is an 835 I bought brand new at Walmart for $327 before tax and $350 after tax.  I added my Star Dot Choke, a dead nutz scope mount, Simmons Pro-Diamond Scope, and the sling.  Looking to add a limbsaver.

This is the gun out of the box...

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Lon0121 on September 19, 2011, 08:48:32 AM
I think i may get the mossberg 835!  anyone have this and what do you think of it??  I can get it at a store here for $330 brand new in the box.....here is a link of the exact same gun and exact same specs.
http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=2

The Mossberg 835 is an excellent shotgun. I started shooting one many years ago and currently have 3 Mossberg guns with the same .775 bore. I've tried short and long barrels and prefer the longer barrels, at least 26" for patterning and less muzzle whip that transfers into cheek slap at the comb. I put a Limbsaver on all of mine and then slip a Shooter's Friend over that for all pattering work. That helps a lot with recoil.

Best of luck with your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Lon0121

thanks guys,  is it a better gun than the 535?
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

dirt road ninja

chatterbox

Quote from: Lon0121 on September 19, 2011, 03:17:06 PM
Yes. Much easier to dial in. IMO you cannot beat that overbored barrel.

davisd9

I have heard some people like the 535, but you lose the overbored barrel and it is a bit lighter which causes more recoil to be felt.  You are not saving money with going with the 535 and after market items, such as chokes and recoil pads, are so much easier to find for the 835.  Nothing against the 535 but for me it is no question which to go with, 835 hands down!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Lon0121

cool deal fellas,  I liked the way she felt when i held her!  I am going to check her out right now and this thursday i will pick her up!~  The gun i mean lol!
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

mcgruff1533

Quote from: Lon0121 on September 19, 2011, 03:17:06 PM

The 535 isn't what I'd call a bad gun.    I have a 20" Mossy 535 and it's killed quite a few Turkey's already.   That said, my particular 535 has not been the easiest shotgun to get head crushing patterns.    It took lots of setup work involving multiple choke/shell combos and lots of barrel polishing.

For an apples to apples comparison, the average 835 will outshoot the average 535 straight out of the box.    The larger diameter bore helps reduce recoil and seems to pattern nicer.

Lon0121

how does the 835 compare to the 935? dare i ask?  :mycross:
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

mcgruff1533

Same barrel and chamber.... 835 is a pump while the 935 is a semi-auto.   The 935 might shoot a little softer due to the extra weight of the gun, and the semi-auto mechanism soaking up some of the recoil.

They should pattern equally well.

Lon0121

:thanks:

you guys have been so helpful,  I have another question....At walmart where i planned on getting the shotgun the lady pulled it out of the display case and the front stud was missing where you attach the sling......are they usually sold like this or did someone snatch it off?

I think i was getting ripped off the other day....A guy at a pawn shop was trying to sell me a 535 in camo stock USED for 360 bucks sheesh....I will stick to the 835 and post pics when i pick her up in a couple days! :)
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff