turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg x-factor turkey chokes

Started by coyotetrpr, September 17, 2011, 11:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

Have any of you guys shot hevishot throught the x-factor choke tubes. I would like to know what loads were shot out of what guns and what were the results. Thanks for your time.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

chatterbox

They are rated for lead only. Not hevishot approved.

mcgruff1533

Chatterbox is dead-nuts accurate.... lead shot only.

I ended up selling my XX-Full .670" X-Factor choke because all of my other chokes (including a cheap Undertaker choke) outperformed it.

autoxr84

If it is a ported choke you can shoot the Hevi Shot through it.  I have shot about ten rounds through mine with no problem.  Hevi 13 and the Mag blend is what I have shot through.  I would not try and take a bird over 35-40 yds though.  Thats about where my 20" barrel started to get spotty.  But I am personally gonna get the Hevi Shot Choke because everything I have read about it is 5 stars.

chatterbox

Quote from: autoxr84 on September 23, 2011, 02:42:24 PM
If it is a ported choke you can shoot the Hevi Shot through it.  I have shot about ten rounds through mine with no problem.  Hevi 13 and the Mag blend is what I have shot through.  I would not try and take a bird over 35-40 yds though.  Thats about where my 20" barrel started to get spotty.  But I am personally gonna get the Hevi Shot Choke because everything I have read about it is 5 stars.
I don't believe porting has anything to do with it. Mossberg has stamped these chokes "lead only." Using any other type of shot will not only void the warranty, but could get you hurt if something happens.
There are good, reasonably priced aftermarket chokes out there that are hevi shot approved.

autoxr84

If you read the owners manual it says the Accu-Choke Tube can shoot lead or steel shot.  And yes the XX-Full Tubes are lead EXCEPT for the extended ported tube.  In the chart it is not listed "(Lead Only)" like the other X-Full or XX-Full chokes that are extended with no ports and flush with the barrel.  That is the reason I said if it was ported, sorry for any confusion.  I could be wrong but I have emailed Mossberg to be for sure and I will keep everyone updated on the subject.

I got the pic from Mossbergs website on page 17-20:
http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/500_835_590_535_en.pdf

mcgruff1533

My extended, ported XX-Full Mossberg X-Factor choke was stamped "lead shot only".

Truthfully, you could probably shoot HTL through it and be just fine.      It's just that one round that might damage your choke, barrel and possibly even the shooter.

It's not worth it... especially when there are numerous chokes on the market that will deliver better patterns.    In fact, my XX-Full choke was consistently the WORST patterning choke in my inventory.