turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

South Georgia Hunting Lease

Started by Gobble Nole, September 15, 2011, 03:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble Nole

I have the opportunity to get on a hunting lease located in South Georgia around the Albany area.  It is 1,000 acres of pines, hardwoods, some fields, shooting house are on the property and it has been managed very meticulously for the past 9 years.  It is $1,000 to get on and the only issue is where to stay, might have to rough it for a little while camping or in a camper but I don't think that running water and electricity will be available. 

The property is located between two huge plantations that don't really deer hunt very much.  They mainly take guests to quail hunt and things of that nature.  The reason I am posting is because I have never been on a lease before, I have only hunted family land in North FL.  But I have also never killed any really big deer, this place is supposed to be loaded with bucks and some monsters so I have heard. 

Does anybody hunt South GA a lot or around the Albany area that could offer some insight?  Just curious...

Oh yeah, the place is supposed to be loaded with turkeys... 

dirt road ninja

How many members will it have? If it's only a few it will be well worth your time to at least go look at it. If it's got a bunch of folks on it already might not be worth your time or money.

Even if you are not interested in deer hunting the ground and it doesn't have many or any members that turkey hunt. You might be able to join the club at a reduced rate just for turkeys.

Old Gobbler

Get everything in writing - get the rule book and look over it very carefully , rules on guests, tree stands etc...if your primary interest is turkey hunting ask for exclusive turkey rights to the property right away and get it in writing , not verbal - too many times they will tell you there is only 1 or 2 other guys that turkey hunt and come opening day spring turkey the lease is packed with lease holders and their guests - dont get burned like this 

There is a million things that can go wrong with a lease , most importantly is who is your lease being shared with and what kind of people are they , ask to meet or talk with some of them on the phone at the very least - If they seem like the type that plays loud music and drinking all hours of the night, be wary -

good luck and hope this helps-Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Uncle Nicky

I never leased land before, but I DO have friends who live in the Albany area, I make the trip from PA each year to turkey hunt with them. The turkey hunting is excellent, and they do OK with deer, and occasionally they run across hogs. It's mostly agricultural land. Hope this helps!

wildturkey6

I moved to the Albany Leesburg area in 1969.Lee county did not even have a deer season then because ther was not enough deer to hunt ,however now Lee county is one of the top producers of huge bucks.If this property in in north Dougherty county is will be some excellent hunting and a 1000 a year is a great price if there are not to many members. Also west Albany has some huge deer out towards Dawson we use to farm a few hundred acres there that was ate up with deer. Good Luck kill all the does you want in Ga,I think the limit is 10 does 2 bucks one has to be 4 point or better.