turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HEVI 2 3/4"?

Started by Snoody Bastid, September 15, 2011, 12:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoody Bastid

Anybody here using HEVI 2 3/4" shells, or any other brand on turkeys?
Hey, they've been killng deer & turkeys with 'em for over 100yrs..

dirt road ninja

I feel the same way about my 30-06's. 100 + years of service and it is still the round that all others are judged against.

Sorry I can't help in regards to the 2.75", hope others here will post some numbers. Never even tried to pattern a 2.75 out of my gun. Might have to.

Good post.

BHMTitan

I use 2-3/4" shells in my Browning A5, 21" Invector Plus barrel; same gun I've turkey hunted with for 30 years.  Most my shots are under 35 yards.  I've used lead up until this past season, in which I shot a couple with the Hevi 13; took one at 45 yards.  At the range, the highest count has been 162 in the 10" at 40 yards. 

TrkyHntr

A friend of mine shoots the Winchester XRHD 2.75 1 1/2oz #6's in his browning A-5. It has a 22" barrel and a .660 stock choke. He gets in the 140's in the 10" at 40yds.
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

honker22

I use 2.75" TSS handloads.  It will kill them just as far as 3 or 3.5 inch ones.  It's not the size of the shell, it's what is coming out that counts... that's what I tell my wife too
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Snoody Bastid

Thanks for all the responses guys.
I just picked up a new in the box Ithaca Turkeyslayer ( King Ferry production, Realtree Gray) and I want to put my Leupold NWTF 1-4x20 on it, but I dread the scope-eye.(once is enough for me) Hence the 2 3/4" inquiry. I don't take long shots (past 35yds) so I should be good to go with either the Hevi13's or Win XR shells.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Snoody Bastid on September 24, 2011, 12:18:17 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys.
I just picked up a new in the box Ithaca Turkeyslayer ( King Ferry production, Realtree Gray) and I want to put my Leupold NWTF 1-4x20 on it, but I dread the scope-eye.(once is enough for me) Hence the 2 3/4" inquiry. I don't take long shots (past 35yds) so I should be good to go with either the Hevi13's or Win XR shells.

Heck, if you ain't gonna shoot past 35 yards, you might as well use a lead shell and spend the savings on some brewskies.  ;)  Besides, that shotgun scope should give you some extra eye relief, doesn't it?

Snoody Bastid

Heck, if you ain't gonna shoot past 35 yards, you might as well use a lead shell and spend the savings on some brewskies.  ;)  Besides, that shotgun scope should give you some extra eye relief, doesn't it?
[/quote]

Stink- I hear what your saying but since I'm going to be lighter in the payload with the 2 3/4", I might as well try and get the tightest, hardest-hitting best pattern I could. No?

surehuntsalot

I would be shooting lead #5's at that range and saving money
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

stinkpickle

Quote from: Snoody Bastid on September 24, 2011, 03:03:19 PM

Stink- I hear what your saying but since I'm going to be lighter in the payload with the 2 3/4", I might as well try and get the tightest, hardest-hitting best pattern I could. No?

Yes...but within 35 yards, I doubt it's gonna matter.  In fact, lead might be a little more forgiving for those closer 20 yard shots.  Plus, you'll be getting more pellets per ounce with lead.

BHMTitan

As already said, for 35 yards and less, lead is more that adequate.

Snoody Bastid

I have numerous boxes of lead (assorted brands & sizes), plus a couple of boxes of Hevi 3-2-6's. I guess I'll try everything as I'd hate to limit myself in case a longer shot presents itself. Patterning is 1/2 the fun. Isn't it?

mcgruff1533

I have an old 870 with a 2.75" chamber.     I plan on picking up a box of 2.75-1.50-6 Hevi 13 shells to see how they do in my gun.

I need to find the shells which might be difficult since most retailers list the 2.75" loads as "seasonal run".     I'll post results once testing is completed.

HogBiologist

My wife killed with the HeviShot 2.75" shells this year. 
Certified Wildlife Biologist

stinkpickle

Quote from: Snoody Bastid on September 27, 2011, 12:12:01 AM
...I guess I'll try everything as I'd hate to limit myself in case a longer shot presents itself...

:icon_thumright:   Well, why didn't you say so in the first place?  Try everything that'll fit in the chamber and let us know what works best for ya.