turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Minerals for deer?

Started by barry, September 12, 2011, 04:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

Any of you guys put out minerals for deer?
We put out some Trophy Rock this time and the deer have demolished them.
Little expensive but great to put in front of trail cams.

What do you use?

drenalinld

This is what I use.

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $18.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $7.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $4.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Kywoodsman

Buck Jam. The stuff is great. I've used it for about five years at the same mineral site. Deer just keep on coming to it. They have hoofed out a spot the size of a truck hood and it is about a foot deep. They just love the stuff.

Wingbone

Buy a 50 lb bag of soda ash at co-op or ag center. Mix a couple pounds with about 5 gallons of water and pour out on clear loose ground. Just Deer coCain without the flashy bag.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

CSAW

Quote from: drenalinld on September 12, 2011, 04:28:41 PM
This is what I use.

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $18.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $7.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $4.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

That is excatly what I use, but I also add two boxes of arm and hammer super washing soda (sodium carbonate), or hillbilly deer cocaine.

OLE RASPY

I just put out salt and i got a pretty good hole going on.

Muskie03

Salt, cracked pepper and rosemary on my steaks. Oh, and the deer like the cattle trace mineral.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

barry

Only problem with loose minerals here in VA is you can't have any attractant out during hunting season with the blocks we can pick up what's left of them and take them in.

lohaus