OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Ithaca?

Started by Snoody Bastid, September 08, 2011, 12:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoody Bastid

Anyone here own, handle or shoot any of the new (Ohio made) Ithaca Deerslayer/Turkeyslayer shotguns? Your thoughts?

gobblergls

I don't have the turkey gun, but I do have a M37 28 gauge made by the Ohio company and it is well-made and a fine shooting gun.  Can't help but think the same quality would be in the turkey gun.  The turkey gun has a fixed barrel; it's limited to 3" shells which shows good sense.  I can't imagine shooting 3.5" loads out of it.  The Deerslayer is a different gun altogether, but the same quality would be in it as well.  I love my old M37s and the new company is upholding the old Ithaca quality.   

Old Gobbler

Some years back there was a buzz about them ,everyone was talking about turkey slayer etc... I called them up and talked to the R&D guy { very nice people } and they  informed me that it was a 3 inch chamber and was tested quite a bit with several loads and if I remember correctly it came with a matched turkey choke , that performed well - They were discussing camo dipping etc... and the product looked to be entering into the production stage 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Snoody Bastid

Thanks for the responses guys.
I had a couple of Deerslayers (Kings Ferry made) and sold them like a dope. The new ones are kind of pricey (for a pump) But I do like the way they look and seem to be of good quality, although I'm not too keen on the laminated thumbhole version. Its good to see that someone took ahold of the reins in regards to the Ithaca brand. I'd hate to see that piece of American history become a distant memory.

decoykrvr

As a long time fan of the Ithaca Model 37, I own and hunt w/ 6 from an ultralight 20 gauge to both deerslayer and turkeyslayer models, I'm decidedly biased.  I was interested in handling and shooting one of the newer 37's made in Ohio, and had the opportunity several weeks ago.  The "new" Ithacas are well made with all the handling characteristics and lines of the original guns.  The barrel on the new guns (Deerslayer and Turkeyslayer) is permanently affixed to the receiver and the magazine tube doesn't attach to the barrel at the end of the tube like most pumps.  I forsee minimal problems with cleaning, although the use of a BoreSnake or similar cleaning device will be required on the initial passes from the receiver to remove powder debris and fouling to keep it out of the receiver mechanisms.  The unattached magazine tube may also tend to hang on vines or brush, but the use of a sling, the stud is permanently mounted under the barrel, may obviate this problem on the shoulder or in the hand.  As explained to me by the folks at Ithaca, they have really worked to maximize the patterns by lengthening the forcing cones to enhance performance, hard mounting the barrel and and are utilizing Briley choke tubes.  I've always polished and honed the triggers on my 37's, but it is unnecessary on the "new" guns.  The Model 37 which I shot wasn't the turkeyslayer model, but the "standard" 3" gun.
The fit and finish and workmanship was superb and IMO worth the money.  The "new' guns have a lifetime warranty and from the responses to my inquiries and discussions w/ the folks at the plant they intend to make and sell the "best made" American pump shotgun!

Snoody Bastid

^ Interesting and informative information. Thanks. I think I'll be ordering one soon. Just can't decide between the camo or black. The previous Ithaca company had a couple of the fixed-barreled models in their Deerslayer line. I remember reading that they were very accurate.

Preacher

I had one ,  It patterned well, but with the rifle sights and perement barrel, it lacked versility.    My son promptyl broke the sight, and we had trouble getting that fixed.    if you wanted a gun for one purpose ,  I think it would be great.
Romans 8:37

decoykrvr

Based on my conversations w/ Zak in customer Service, unlike most of the manufacturers of American made shotguns, the folks at Ithaca will build you the gun of your specifications for a nominal amount above the suggested MSRP.  I'm in the process of sending them a Waterfowl,  Model 37, 3", which was custom made in 1981, to be re-parkerized.  This is the 2nd time the gun has been refinished which is due strictly to the carry time in the field.  The gun is going afield tomorrow for opening day of Wood duck/teal season with potential for both early season goose and afternoon doves.  If I was younger, and buying a model 37 for a lifetime of use, I would consider buying a gun w/ the black Perma-Guard finish.  Although I own and hunt with several camo shotguns, none of those finishes are as durable as either parkerizing or Perma-Guard, and, in truth, if a turkey gets close enough that he can discern a black shotgun, he ought to be killable.  I would be happy to discuss Ithaca shotguns with you before you spend a bunch of money, just sent me a PM.  I've got to get up in 31/2 hours so I've got to go.
Craig

gobblergls

Ithaca Gun Company bends over backwards to give good service and they stand behind the guns they sell.  You won't find a piece of plastic in their guns unlike most manufacturers today who rely on polymers for trigger guards and trigger housings.  Today's Ithacas aren't cheap, but then, their guns are not cheaply made.   Last wSaturday and Sunday I had a ball hunting doves with my M37 28 gauge that I bought in February of this year.  Today, I'm trotting out my 1949 M37R 16 gauge for Round II in last Saturday's field.  I hope to be shucking spent hulls in about 6 hours.

This past winter I discussed with Zak that I thought an optional adjustable tritium illuminated sight set would be ideal for the Turkeyslayer.  I would consider buying a 20 gauge if one were available.  The triggers on the new M37s are incredibly crisp.  The undersides of the bolt are engine turned.  It's little touches that separate the quality of these guns from others.  Craig, you are preaching to the choir about Ithacas...

gobblergls

Quote from: Preacher on September 09, 2011, 07:37:59 AM
I had one ,  It patterned well, but with the rifle sights and perement barrel, it lacked versility.    My son promptyl broke the sight, and we had trouble getting that fixed.    if you wanted a gun for one purpose ,  I think it would be great.

Was it made by the Ithaca Gun Co. of Upper Sandusky, Ohio?  I suspect not.  They would have fixed it.  The new ownership has been good to deal with from my standpoint. Gil

Snoody Bastid

Guys,
Thanks again for all your insight and advise.
I'm just glad an apparently reputable company took over instead of some half-azz outfit trying to live off the legacy.