turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vetenarians

Started by Jay, August 30, 2011, 07:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

This might be a surprise to some, but I know it won't be to Bird. Some are more concerned with turning a profit above anything else, including the health of your pet. After suspecting I was getting raked for 15 years by my Vet, taking his advice on care of my dog, spending thousands of dollars, his last recommendation of another brain scan for a dog on her last leg, was the final straw. He had nailed me on a brain scan 6 months before that, and I think he lost track of that. My dog is on needed meds for pain, and a form of dementia. We have a Pet pharmacy that I can buy directly from, but he was ticked when I wanted her prescriptions sent there vs spending the jacked up 40% from him. I'm now with my daughters vet, who has an attitude that selling drugs isn't her business, and I now have both my prescriptions at the Pet Pharmacy. After talking about my issues I could tell she was pretty ticked about all the issues at my previous Vet. There are many more I haven't listed. My advice is make dang sure you have an honest Vet, and aren't getting raked on unneeded bills. I paid for special dog food at very expensive prices from a Vet for a high allergy dog that really wasn't needed, because I believed the Vet. We all want the best for our pets without getting fleeced. Be very careful on your choices.

OLE RASPY

Good post jay.I hate it that u got the shaft like that.Glad u found a good vet. :icon_thumright:

barry

It's outrageous what some vets charge these days! Glad you found one you can trust!

oatsj

Not to change the subject but this applies to some MD's that have an agenda.

WyoHunter

Quote from: oatsj on September 02, 2011, 06:07:06 PM
Not to change the subject but this applies to some MD's that have an agenda.
:agreed:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

doepee

I know my vet does that ... have spent countless dollars on things that I am not sure they need... but you always want the best for your pet and I know the MD s do the same thing.

stinkpickle

Lemme know who it was, so we'll be sure to avoid him.

mnturkey

When I took "Buck" in about 3 weeks ago and the vet did a blood test and the results came back bad the vet said it was up to me but the dog is old and the results will not make a difference so why spend the money.
SEMPER FI

Beretta686

My wife is a Vet tech/assistant and has worked for the same Vet for 8 years. Yes, stuff like that goes on. I hear her talk about other vets and what clients say they were charged at other places. Then again, price isn't everything, the service you get is worth paying more; Dr. will meet you at 3am instead of sending you to a 24 hour clinic, Dr. will make house calls because you are sick and can't bring your animal, Dr. will treat your pet and hold it until you can pay for the treatment, etc.

Don't forget it is a business. The Vet didn't go to school and spend all the money on tution to be non profit.

Service sells and if their service stinks then their clientell will move on, then they have to make up the loss by charging more; higher meds and crazy tests.

Just my 2 cents from a business owner, pet owner (5 dogs, 4 cats), and a wife who works in the industry. LOL All the animals except for my Lab are rescue critters.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Jay

Anytime you recommend unneeded procedures to get more money for your business, especially knowing that the pet owner is probably going to go with your recomendations, thinking it's for the best of your pet, it's flatly unethical and basically as low as it gets.

Reloader

I feel your pain.  We have a Vet right down the street that rakes us over the coals every time.  Another accross town that never has a Vet in, usually get treatments that the Vet Tech "thinks" are correct.  We've been driving 45miles to another town to a guy that is absolutely top notch, he takes the time to chat with the owners, does very thorough examinations, and is available by phone when you need him.  To top it off, he charges 1/3 what the local vet charges. 

The only bad thing about a vet a long ways off is when emergencies occur.  My bud Max died in my arms 5 mins before we could get there. Wayne brought him back and put him on life support, but he was in bad shape so we decided to pull the plug and let him go.  Wayne didn't charge me a dime for that and sent a nice card.  My wife made him a cheese cake and he was tickled.  I don't mind driving 45 miles to get that kind of care for my dogs.