OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

food plots for deer

Started by doepee, August 27, 2011, 08:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doepee

Anyone plant food plots for deer? Been thinking on doing it next year and was wondering what some good things to plant are? Never planted a food plot before. I live in central Illinois if that makes a difference.. Any sugguestions on what they really like??

scoot12

Antler Kings trophy clover is awesome.  Scoot

redarrow

Buck Forage Oats and Austrian winter Peas. Planted approx 5 acres 2 weeks ago and they are already 2-3 inches tall and full of deer tracks.  Got a couple smaller plots with Alsike (Alice) clover that they really love.

barry

Doepee,
Anything that stays green in cold weather, cheap way is small grains - oats, wheat, rye - maybe toss in some turnip seed as well.

Redarrow
How tall does that Alsike clover get?

redarrow

We planted the Alsike last fall and it is about 8 inches or so.

honker22

For killing... i would plant any type of cereal grain (wheat, oats, rye) and mix in some type of brassica or clover with it.  I love diversity in a food plot.  It will keep them fed all thru the winter and into the spring.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

BOFF

Quote from: honker22 on August 28, 2011, 05:47:43 PM
For killing... i would plant any type of cereal grain (wheat, oats, rye) and mix in some type of brassica or clover with it.  I love diversity in a food plot.  It will keep them fed all thru the winter and into the spring.

Planting rye grass with clover in my opinion is a "no-no". During the spring the rye will overshadow the clover, and rye grass is difficult to get rid of once it gets established. Just my opinion though, I'm no expert, but do a lot of planting summer and winter time fields.

God Bless,
David B.

Hawkfarm

Just planted 3 acres of a mixture of wheat, Dwarf Essex Rape, turnips and clover.  Same mixture last year and they ate it like crazy.   

turkey slayer

Quote from: honker22 on August 28, 2011, 05:47:43 PM
Thats usually about what our plots have in em!

OLE RASPY

I plant lead.It usually does a good job.The deer doesnt like it though. ;D
I know what your thinking theres one in every crowd. :lol:

Winter wheat i like that and they like it to.

Kylongspur88

They really hit the turnips hard here once it gets cold.

Spring Creek Calls

We did the turnips last year and it worked great. Planted in early fall and they worked on the greens late fall and ate all the turnips during the winter. Dug thru the snow to get to them.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

HogBiologist

One thing to remember....

Rye and Rye Grass are not the same thing.

Rye is a grain and is good for food plots.  Rye Grass is a grass and has no nutrition.  While rye grass might grow anywhere, once it is established in your plot it is very hard to get rid of.
Certified Wildlife Biologist