Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Leather trumpet/tube call lanyards......curious if there is interest.

Started by savduck, August 19, 2011, 05:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Ive gotten hit by the trumpet bug. I went looking for some  lanyards on the internet and couldnt find any that I really cared for. I wanted something that was functional but also classic/ old school looking that goes with the mystic of a trumpet. I thought leather was the answer so I bought some material to make my own. I made some that look sleek, are very light, and in my opinion good looking, I also made them short enough you could slip them in your shirt pocket. I enjoyed it, and thought I could start making them and sell a few.

I dont want to get anymore material if there isnt any interest so, Im just asking you guys for your opinions. If there is enough interest, Ill get some material and start making them. I can make 1,2,3, and 4 drop. Im thinking 20.00 for single or double, 25.00 for 3 or 4 drop,  plus shipping.  If a bulk order of 10 or more was made, i could come down on the price. Right now i ordered dark leather, but if I start making and selling a few, ill get some other leather colors. What yall think?

I also made some squared off versions first. I didnt think people would like them. I thought the taper looked better, but one of my buddies likes the squared off version, so... opinions on that would be great

Georgia Boy

Houndstooth Game Calls

Del they look good to me my man i like how you braided the leather the old school lanyard look!!! Great Job!!!

callmakerman

They look great. I was looking to get one for a wing bone. How do you think they will work on wing bones?  Bill

savduck

Quote from: callmakerman on August 19, 2011, 10:29:05 PM
They look great. I was looking to get one for a wing bone. How do you think they will work on wing bones?  Bill

I think they would do fine, the trumpet have a lanyard groove built it, but noose slides down good and tight. i built a protype that i didnt post pictures of that was a double loop...one noose on the lanyard groove, one on the slick barrel. It gripped the barrel great.
Georgia Boy

merocustomcalls

Very nice work Del, quite impressive for your first crack at it.  I think I'd be interested in those at some point. 

savduck

Shaun, I ordered material today, so Ill have it to start making some Friday and Saturday evening. I got some other color leathers as well besides the dark brown.

Im going to do the dark brown, saddle( orangy brown), and beige/ black checkered leather with black drops. Let me know when you get ready.

Ive had enough interest that im going to get enough material to make about 20.
Georgia Boy

The Cohutta Strutter

Del, can you provide a pic of someone wearing one so we can get an idea of how the calls hang and would carry in the woods? I've got my eye on a double drop and my practical side says I would'nt want the calls to clang around on each other as I move through the woods. I wear button up shirts mostly turkey hunting and can see where you could just slip one of the calls through the openings of a button up shirt just as a means to seperate the calls to silence them. Del, I have always preferred the traditional apperance of leather and have not understood why it is not used more often with the call makers on these trumpets and tubes. I suppose it's the cost, dunno. Your thoughts?
Anybody seen America lately?

savduck

Had a guy want a double....but to hang one call on sideways, not to hold two. Here is what that looks like. He wanted my old prototype that had the straight cut on the braid instead of the taper. it is longer than the tapered design. They hang slightly higher. Im not sure why guys dont use leather, I love it and think it is the coolest landyard material you can have, thats why I came up with these....cause they look good, and I can make and sell them affordable.

So far most guys are ordering singles for trumpets.

Here would be a double, but doesnt sound like what you would want. Maybe I could build a 4 drop, leave two drops just under the taper, then drop down 4 or 5 inches and drop two more loops. hang them sideways instead of up and down. Let me do some tinkering. ill see if I can do something with twine before using leather. I have more leather coming
Georgia Boy

The Cohutta Strutter

Anybody seen America lately?

callmakerman

Gotta say that's the same reason I went with the single. I didn't want 2 wing bones banging into each other.  For whats it's worth I like the taper design.  Bill

drenalinld

I like them a lot. I prefer the taper. I'm interested for a duck and/or goose call lanyard now and will be interested in tube call and/or trumpet lanyards before Spring. Have you made any for duck calls? I guess it would be the same. Would you make it any different?

savduck

Quote from: drenalinld on August 21, 2011, 01:40:40 PM
I like them a lot. I prefer the taper. I'm interested for a duck and/or goose call lanyard now and will be interested in tube call and/or trumpet lanyards before Spring. Have you made any for duck calls? I guess it would be the same. Would you make it any different?

Ive been thinking about this. I made these  lighter weight to kinda of go with look of  the trumpet, wingbone, and tube call. I can order a little stouter material for the lanyard and the drops for a duck call. Ive also had some interest for single and double dog whistles.

I didnt order any this last go round, but I can get some heavier stuff. I was going to tinker with double and quad drops coming out the bottom of the taper, and then trying to figure out a way to drop to singles up high for whistle drops. I think I can weave them into the leather, and secure them with a noose knot.
Georgia Boy

savduck

Quote from: moore on August 21, 2011, 10:17:51 PM
I'm going to have to put a order in del, I like it

Thanks Shaun, just shoot me a PM with your information and what you want. May want to wait, though. I ordered a couple other color leather pieces and will put up new pictures by next Friday.
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

I'll get with you on a tube caller lanyard when you get the lighter color. If you work out a little bigger size for duck and goose calls, I'll be in on that also. I love the look of leather lanyards.

misfire

Del,
You can put me down for a few. I can offer them with my trumpets. Real classy
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net