turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Miami Football Scandal

Started by Peck1524, August 19, 2011, 11:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peck1524

Didn't see any threads on this here yet. Looks like Miami is going to have some STIFF penalties. I have season tickets to Maryland and we open up at home against Miami. Should be interesting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

drenalinld

Dylan T

College sports should be 100% amateur.

Peck1524

Quote from: Dylan T on August 19, 2011, 01:10:46 PM

I agree to an extent. I played baseball at the University of Maryland. When you figure in practice time, conditioning, team functions, games etc. there was no way I nor any other Division I athlete could hold a part-time job. Yet any other student on campus has the opportunity/time to work to earn some extra cash. This is my biggest problem with college athletes not being given some sort of compensation. I don't think there should be negotiable salaries but a standard of X amount of money per month across the board for ALL athletes seems pretty fair to me.

WyoHunter

Unfortunately a lot of athletes are looking at going to college as a stepping stone to greener pastures in the NFL. The player on the 3rd team isn't seeing any of these illegal handouts; it's the stars who take the money, etc. and place the school in jeopardy. Also those giving money, etc. should be treated as a criminals (bribery) and prosecuted. The players and schools are the ones that suffer the disgrace and NCAA penalties. 
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Limbstrutter

Boss, I agree with you totally. The NCAA needs to thin some of the rules they created , do they really think out of all these giant sports programs that none of these kids aren't getting some sort of help ? If they dug deep enough none of are top collages would have sports.  They need a pay to play system with a cap. So schools could compete evenly . Crazy the coaches and the schools make all the cash and the kids can't even have a pair of shoes.  
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

Peck1524

Quote from: Limbstrutter on August 19, 2011, 05:33:19 PM
Boss, I agree with you totally. The NCAA needs to thin some of the rules they created , do they really think out of all these giant sports programs that none of these kids aren't getting some sort of help ? If they dug deep enough none of are top collages would have sports.  They need a pay to play system with a cap. So schools could compete evenly . Crazy the coaches and the schools make all the cash and the kids can't even have a pair of shoes.  

Right on. Most kids on any college team are non scholarship players. Not only do they have to pay for school, housing, food etc. they don't have the extra time that other students would have to get a part-time job to earn extra money to get by. I understand the whole amauterism aspect, but essentially these kids are generating revenue for the school they play for and they should be compenstated for that.

drenalinld

Quote from: Peck1524 on August 22, 2011, 10:18:14 AM

Right on. Most kids on any college team are non scholarship players. Not only do they have to pay for school, housing, food etc. they don't have the extra time that other students would have to get a part-time job to earn extra money to get by. I understand the whole amauterism aspect, but essentially these kids are generating revenue for the school they play for and they should be compenstated for that.

I see it a little differently. What about all of the other college sports that don't generate revenue? Do you give those athletes the same compensation? The female basketball player works just as hard for her school, but probably does not turn a profit for the school.

Gobble Nole

I am really sad to hear this about Miami...

I cant even say that with a straight face.  I hope the NCAA takes them to the woodshed and doesn't come back until they have some manners. 

A little fun...

If you are driving and see a Miami football player riding a bicycle, why should you take great care in not hitting him?

It could be your bike.

Sucks to be U

:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Peck1524

Quote from: drenalinld on August 22, 2011, 11:01:37 AM
Quote from: Peck1524 on August 22, 2011, 10:18:14 AM

I see it a little differently. What about all of the other college sports that don't generate revenue? Do you give those athletes the same compensation? The female basketball player works just as hard for her school, but probably does not turn a profit for the school.

I see your point and don't necessarily disagree. My agrument is more for the fact that college athletes are unable to hold a job due to the time commitment of playing a sport involves. I was fortunate enough to earn a scholarship. Should that be considered enough of a payment, maybe. But what about the kid who earned an academic scholarship for art (for example). They would have the time to get a part time job to help ends meet and could even sell their paintings to earn money if they wished. If I threw a no-hitter one game and decided to auction off the game ball to earn some cash I would have been nailed to the wall. See my point? Either way its tough to make it fair across the board. But in my opinion college atheltes should be given some sort of compensation for the hard work and time they give to their schools. But I see and understand both sides of the argument.

lightsoutcalls

My pastor is a big buckeye fan.  He made the comment yesterday that if Miami and Ohio State played each other, it could be called the Cheaters Bowl.

On the subject of compensating college athletes, I don't think they should be.  I understand the argument presented that they don't have the time to get a job due to practice, schedules, etc.  How many other students have the potential to make the kind of money out of college as a professional athlete?  To me it's a trade-off.  No, many of those who play won't realize the dream of making millions per year, but the possibility is there for those who have the natural ability and work ethic to make it happen.  When an athlete signs with a school, don't they sign an agreement that they won't accept outside contributions?  Seems like they should know up front that it is against policy.  Whatever happened to playing for the love of the game?

As far as not having time to work, I don't know.  Arkansas players seem to have enough time and money to get busted for drug and alcohol related crimes...  they have to have some time and money on their hands.   ::)
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

bad0351

Quote from: Gobble Nole on August 22, 2011, 11:24:58 AM
I am really sad to hear this about Miami...

I cant even say that with a straight face.  I hope the NCAA takes them to the woodshed and doesn't come back until they have some manners. 

A little fun...

If you are driving and see a Miami football player riding a bicycle, why should you take great care in not hitting him?

It could be your bike.

Sucks to be U

:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

I'm guessing a FSU Fan??? ;)
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

Turkey Trot

Quote from: Peck1524 on August 19, 2011, 01:48:05 PM

I agree to an extent. I played baseball at the University of Maryland. When you figure in practice time, conditioning, team functions, games etc. there was no way I nor any other Division I athlete could hold a part-time job. Yet any other student on campus has the opportunity/time to work to earn some extra cash. This is my biggest problem with college athletes not being given some sort of compensation. I don't think there should be negotiable salaries but a standard of X amount of money per month across the board for ALL athletes seems pretty fair to me.

Well, you did receive some consideration in the form of tuition, fees, books, food,lodging, and tutoring, being paid by the school.  (Clarify for us which of the aforementioned that you got for us along with stipend type payments for laundry money, etc. I'm not informed what the NCAA currently allows).  Were you allowed to apply for and accept Pell grant money as a scholarship student?

I remember football players getting some kind of "laundry money" stipend, they obviously need some spending money.  I would not be opposed to them getting a reasonable stipend to get by and to be able to travel home.  The problem is that there are so many schools with programs that cannot afford to keep up and so many different sports at schools that don't make money or make much of it.  How do they treat all athletes the same?  Title IX does not help because it requires the schools to create womens programs even if they are not popular and will not support themselves financially.     
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Peck1524

Quote from: Turkey Trot on August 23, 2011, 04:56:20 PM
Quote from: Peck1524 on August 19, 2011, 01:48:05 PM

Well, you did receive some consideration in the form of tuition, fees, books, food,lodging, and tutoring, being paid by the school.  (Clarify for us which of the aforementioned that you got for us along with stipend type payments for laundry money, etc. I'm not informed what the NCAA currently allows).  Were you allowed to apply for and accept Pell grant money as a scholarship student?

I remember football players getting some kind of "laundry money" stipend, they obviously need some spending money.  I would not be opposed to them getting a reasonable stipend to get by and to be able to travel home.  The problem is that there are so many schools with programs that cannot afford to keep up and so many different sports at schools that don't make money or make much of it.  How do they treat all athletes the same?  Title IX does not help because it requires the schools to create womens programs even if they are not popular and will not support themselves financially.     

I received a scholarship in the form of tuition and books. I was on my own for housing and food. At the NCAA D-I level you can get a full scholarship in the form of tuition, books room and board. As far as room and board goes I'm pretty sure you have to live on campus and you get a certain amount of money put on a campus dining hall card each semester. At least thats how it worked at Maryland. The ONLY time we got anything additional was when we traveled. If I remember correctly, it was something like $15 for breakfast, $15 for lunch and $20 for dinner. Yes, you can apply for a PELL grant as a scholarship student. I didn't qualify however and ended up taking out a few student loans to help cover what my scholarship didn't cover. Just FYI, but the maximum amount for a PELL grant for this upcoming year is $5,500. And yes, Title IX doesn't make things any easier. And like you said, the tough thing is trying to make it fair across the board. I would say all or 99% of Division I schools only have 1 or 2 revenue producing sports. Either Football, Basketball or in some cases both.

Turkey Trot

Was Maryland's approach of awarding only tuition and books standard in the conference?
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter