Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

_____________________________A/T Truck Tire Recommendations?

Started by gatrapper, August 15, 2011, 10:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Muskie03

Quote from: stinkpickle on August 15, 2011, 11:01:45 AM
Nitto Terra Grapplers - I used to run BFG AT's, which threw gravel like crazy, so I decided to try out the Nitto's.  They'll do anything the BFG's did, and slip even less on wet pavement.  Some people complain about their treadlife, but I've had no problem with that...over 40k miles on my current set.

I have run my Terra Grapplers in the northern rockies, through rivers and up inclines i don't want to remember they were so sketchy. Through water logged clay/mud fields and have yet to have a problem. Plus there real quiet on the tar roads. Taken them 8 miles out onto frozen lakes in snow up to my running boards without any trouble.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

Muskie03

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

stinkpickle

Quote from: gatrapper on August 16, 2011, 03:04:51 PM
Who would y'all recommend ordering from?

When I ordered mine, I actually got new wheel/tire combos from discounttiredirect.com, so I got free mounting, balancing, and shipping...and no sales tax.

Ol'Mossy

This is the first winter I had Coopers on the snow was pretty deep and my truck plowed right through it without any problems:

turkey slayer

pcgobbler

Firestone Destination A/T here also.  I help make em' and I endorse them. 

gatrapper

Going with the Firestone Destination A/Ts yall.  Thanks :you_rock:
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

gun for hire

I think you can still find them--- Sport Kings.  They are made by BFG, but a whole lot less money.  But for the money, I put a set of mud terrain retred tires on my Dakota.  $70 each installed, mounted and balanced.  They were the best going set of tires I have ever owned, and I have ran Goodyears, BFG's, michillen's and a couple of others.  Did not get the milage out of them, but for the money, I was very happy.  And they were in 31x10.5x15.

Fullfan

Quote from: Deputy 14 on August 15, 2011, 01:07:00 PM
Firestone Destination A/T

I have them on my 3/4 ton Ram. Junk in the snow, rain, mud and wet grass. Other than that I have 40k on them and thay are okay...
Don't gobble at me...

OLE RASPY

Junk in the snow, rain, mud and wet grass

What else are they good for if u got 40 k on them. :lol:

Fullfan

Quote from: OLE RASPY on August 22, 2011, 10:00:44 PM
Junk in the snow, rain, mud and wet grass

What else are they good for if u got 40 k on them. :lol:

Running down the highway, but don't get them in the wet grass, snow or mud and you will be okay
Don't gobble at me...

Reloader

I can agree with the FS Destinations not being worth a hoot off road.  They give pretty good life on the HWY and are not really an AT tire in my eyes.  They are a tire for running the roads that look better than street tires.

The Cooper LTZ Zeon, BFG AT, Nitto TG, PC Ext AT, and a few others are the types that offer a bit better traction in snow or slightly slick situations. 

Down here you might as well run MTs to have any advantage when it gets wet.  I do see a minor advantage with aggressive ATs in slick stuff, but MTs are the only tires that will make or break a bad situation off road.  When we hunt snow every year for big game, aggressive ATs also show a slight advantage over street treads, MTs even more so.  Non aggressive ATs are nothing more than looks alone when it comes to actual functionality IME.

When it comes to strictly off road, it's hard to beat non-radials such as Buckshot, Gumbo, or SSs.  I run SS LTBs on my hunting truck and they are hard to beat in bad situations, but they have to be the worst tires on the hwy I've ever owned.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Reloader on August 23, 2011, 11:41:17 AM
I can agree with the FS Destinations not being worth a hoot off road.  They give pretty good life on the HWY and are not really an AT tire in my eyes.  They are a tire for running the roads that look better than street tires.

The Cooper LTZ Zeon, BFG AT, Nitto TG, PC Ext AT, and a few others are the types that offer a bit better traction in snow or slightly slick situations. 

Down here you might as well run MTs to have any advantage when it gets wet.  I do see a minor advantage with aggressive ATs in slick stuff, but MTs are the only tires that will make or break a bad situation off road.  When we hunt snow every year for big game, aggressive ATs also show a slight advantage over street treads, MTs even more so.  Non aggressive ATs are nothing more than looks alone when it comes to actual functionality IME.

When it comes to strictly off road, it's hard to beat non-radials such as Buckshot, Gumbo, or SSs.  I run SS LTBs on my hunting truck and they are hard to beat in bad situations, but they have to be the worst tires on the hwy I've ever owned.

Agreed!  "All Terrain" means OK at all things, but great at nothing.

OLE RASPY

Im glad yall said this bout the firestone cause i was looking hard at them.What yall think bout goodyear silent armors.Good in snow and rain and good handling or what say you.
At this point i am torn on getting tires dont know which way to go but really dont want to break the bank either.