Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What are your archery plans/goals for fall?

Started by lightsoutcalls, August 11, 2011, 03:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Anyone have any plans or goals for bowhunting this fall? 

My goal is to hunt black bear in AR for my first time.  I wanted to last fall, but situations beyond my control came up and kept me from hunting much of anything...  Didn't even get to try my new bow in the woods last year...
I also hope to pull off a few Saturday morning hunts on the local military base.  There are lots of smallish deer there and the feral hog population has exploded over the past few years. 
I've also made a deal with the owner of a high fence ranch in south Oklahoma to cut firewood for him in exchange for a hunt or at least money off of a hunt.  He has hogs and several sheep and goat species that might be fun. 

Primarily I want to put some meat in the freezer since I didn't take a deer at all last year.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

drenalinld

I'm considering a black bear hunt, but not sure what I will do with it when I shoot one?

I lost all of my wild meat in a freezer failure. so does will be wise to stay out of my range...lol

There is a 10-pt I have photographed the past three Falls that I hope to put on the ground this year.

Kylongspur88

My number one goal is to find/ make time to hunt.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on August 11, 2011, 11:27:56 PM
My number one goal is to find/ make time to hunt.

I'm with you there.  I'm working 12-13 hours a day 4 days a week and 4-8 hours the other 3 days a week most weeks.  That's besides turning calls getting ready for next spring.  Some of that is going to give this year.  I can take vacation time from my fulltime job and just have to request time off from my part time job. 

I know situations and finances can dictate our schedules.  Last year circumstances beyond my control kept me out of the woods.  Something I realize this year is that being in the woods is a need, not a desire for me.  That time alone with no electronic distractions or people competing for my attention is very valuable, and something I hope I never again take for granted.  I hope your schedule/commitments allow you to get some hunt time in.   :icon_thumright:

clarksvalley

Amen to the peace and quiet and no electronic distractions.don`t get me wrong i`m all about shooting a deer with my bow,but time
in the wood in the peace and quiet does you good.

Dan Mallia

Not a lot of time to bowhunt with work and duck hunting taking first priority but I hope to try and take a turkey with my bow this fall  :z-guntootsmiley:

TrackeySauresRex

I'll be bowhunting in Ohio this November with my 13 year old son we're excited and can't wait.
My goals this season are to practice and be the best archer I can be for the up coming season. To hunt safe. Also enjoy every hunt to the fullest, as if were my last.
:anim_25:
B-Well
T.S.R
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Devastator

i will be after bucks and gobblers the last 2 weeks of our archery season.i can't wait for some vacation time.my goal will be to shoot a mountable buck and get 1 of them danged birds that eluded me this last spring.

fallhnt

I do what I do in spring.Bow hunt turkey in KS,NE,IL,and I add MO.in the fall.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

drenalinld

Quote from: fallhnt on August 16, 2011, 01:15:46 PM
I do what I do in spring.Bow hunt turkey in KS,NE,IL,and I add MO.in the fall.

I am considering this.

BOFF

Been shooting consistently here for the last 3 weeks. Would love to take a bear with the longbow. Hopefully one day maybe in Canada?

Haven't had much time to scout. Been trying to get everything lined up to start planting fields.

God Bless,
David B.

savedbygrace

I guess I'm just fuddy duddy, but the only animals I'm interested in hunting are deer and turkey. For fall and winter, my goal is to re-fill my freezer to the brim with venison.

woodchip

My goal is to fill my four Fall turkey tags, and maybe put a deer or two in the freezer.  But the turkeys come first.  Love the Fall turkey season!

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: savedbygrace on August 24, 2011, 03:20:22 PM
I guess I'm just fuddy duddy, but the only animals I'm interested in hunting are deer and turkey. For fall and winter, my goal is to re-fill my freezer to the brim with venison.

Nothing wrong with that frame of mind.  Our fall turkey season in AR got shut down a couple of years ago due to low bird numbers.  I didn't get to hunt last fall, so my freezer is wild game poor.  If I have the opportunity to take a bear, it will end up in my freezer, even if it is in the form of sausage or jerky meat. 

dirt road ninja

I would like to hunt for culls. We have a few that need to go. I try to leave the shooter's for my son. We hadn't got any pics of superstars yet, but if we do I might try and hunt him.