OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anybody hunt Whistle Pigs?

Started by Ol'Mossy, August 08, 2011, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol'Mossy

socalturkeyman

What the heck is that thing? I've never heard or seen one. Is it a gofer?
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

woodchip

I used to hunt them some, but you can't hardly find them anymore.  Everyone says the coyotes have thinned them out. 

woodchip

Kylongspur88

My granny had a good recipe for those.

OLE RASPY

you eatem.I have heard there good dunno.I have killed a few myself but none this year.The field i always hunt them in is growed up now.

socalturkeyman

HAHAHA I never seen one thats kinda cool. I for sure dont think we have those out here in souther california haha, maybe up north.

OLE RASPY

They can tear some fields and barns up i know that.Nieghbor had a barn to cave in because of them.Dug holes till the middle support gave away and collaspe. :o

socalturkeyman

WOW!!! Really, thats freaking nuts for such a lil thing to cause so much damage. Glad we dont have them suckers out here.

TClark

I used to LOVE to hunt them, especially early spring and right after the first hey cutting.

What kind/caliber rifle is that?  Cool looking gun for sure.
Take Care and be blessed,
Terry

College Students
http://4gcellpay.com/

WyoHunter

Hunted them hard growing up in central PA but the last trip to PA was disappointing. All my old hunting spots had housing developments on or close to them. Progress I guess..............  :(
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: TClark on August 09, 2011, 12:20:47 AM
I used to LOVE to hunt them, especially early spring and right after the first hey cutting.

What kind/caliber rifle is that?  Cool looking gun for sure.

That's a Remington 700 ADL heavy barrel 223

I've eaten groundhogd before, used to make potpie out of them.

The farmers around here hate them, they dig big holes in the fields, sometimes they'll get a tractor or wagon wheel in them and brake an axle, the amish around here told me cows would step in the holes and break their legs. One of the amish told me they had to destroy a cow because if it. So in other words they're a nuisance.

doepee

I have eaten them before.. I think they taste like roast beef only not as dry... used to trap them around the garden when I was younger.. shot a few with the bow also..

Muskie03

This is their larger relative the Hoary Marmot from B.C., I had bought a sling shot to hunt them with( I like a challenge). At this point I we were three days into the bush, I had lost my sling shot some where in the alpine and we were glassing a valley when I looked over and 20 feet from me this feller was just hangin' out.

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.