OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Building a deer stand in 104 degree heat..

Started by Tail Feathers, August 08, 2011, 03:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Brutal and probably not very smart.  I quit just before noon.

I wish I lived out west where you can see forever and could just stalk 'em. :fud:

I'm building a 4X6 deer stand/box blind...whatever your local terminology is.

I'll have the sides on tomorrow and be ready for a ride to the deer woods by my next days off.  I'll be hunting in comfort this fall.  It ain't turkey but it is hunting! :z-guntootsmiley:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

mossy835

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

spurman

You will be ready for that bad weather deer hunting.

I built this one a few years ago for my wife.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

turkey slayer

Quote from: spurman on August 08, 2011, 06:28:49 PM
You will be ready for that bad weather deer hunting.

I built this one a few years ago for my wife.
Nice paint job!

rtsj

This is one of two box blinds on my property. Both are the same except one is 12 ft. the other 14 ft. 
Went all out. 6x6x 7.5 high. Carpet, R38 on the roof and R19 on the walls. Carpet, glass windows, carpeting office chairs and a propane heater Very nice when its cold out.  Yeah right I would'nt know, my wife and the kids hog it up. Only time I get to hunt it is during late flintlock season.

Have a good one:   Roy

rtsj

Slicky,

Sounds awesome!! :icon_thumright:  Do yourself a favor, go 6x10.  For all the more wood you need that xtra 2 feet means everything...  If my property wasn't 1/4 mile from my house i may have thought about one with bunks.  We built everything separatly. All 4 walls and the roof.  Once the base was built we used the skidloader to lift each wall up one at a time then used stainless deck lagbolts to attach. It was so easy!!!  The roof was a little harder since from the ground to the top is 20 feet, and the roof was 8x8. We had to cut the roof in half take it through the door a piece at a time then attached it that way. Had a seam in the roof but the tar paper and rubber roofing fixed that.  Only problem is the mice love the insulation.
   Send some pics as the project is underway!!!

Roy

lightsoutcalls

And here I was all excited about using my new Muddy hang on stand.   :-[   Good looking box stands, guys.  I'm afraid they would be too hard to pack in on public land in the mountains though.  ;D 

So how long of a shot can you guys take from those blinds?  Where I hunt, 70 yards is a LONG shot and then it is only after all of the leaves are on the ground. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

rtsj

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on August 12, 2011, 09:50:33 AM
And here I was all excited about using my new Muddy hang on stand.   :-[   Good looking box stands, guys.  I'm afraid they would be too hard to pack in on public land in the mountains though.  ;D 

So how long of a shot can you guys take from those blinds?  Where I hunt, 70 yards is a LONG shot and then it is only after all of the leaves are on the ground. 
From the box blind to the other end of my imperial clover which is the property line is 345 yds. Plenty of deer have died along that treeline. Farthest shot possible is close to 450.  The stand overlooks a 25 acre field surrounded by woods. This year we have our 5 acres of clover on one side 18 acres of soybean in the middle and 3 acres of Barassicas on the other side. The place loads up with deer when the snow flies!!!