OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tipping at restruants

Started by sugarray, August 05, 2011, 03:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

15% normally, but if they are really good then 20%. I'm po and save my money for hunting!!! :fud:

TClark

Waitresses/waiters in WV pay taxes on what they serve...on the amount of the bill.
  Working in the food service for over 20 years, I've seen a couple with a minus paycheck...they owed they didn't get paid.
  It's a rare occasion when we don't tip.
Take Care and be blessed,
Terry

College Students
http://4gcellpay.com/

HogBiologist

Being a poor government worker, I am usually restricted to 10%. 
Certified Wildlife Biologist

lightsoutcalls

Most agree that 10% to 20% is appropriate according to quality of service, with 10% being a minimum for less than average service. 

An easy way to figure 10% of your ticket is to move the decimal point (that little dot between the numbers that seperates dollars and cents) one digit to the left.  For example, if your bill is $37.00, move the decimal point to the left to get $3.70, or 10% of your total.  When it is not an even dollar amount, $29.53 for example, do the same process and round up to the next whole dollar - $2.95 or $3.00.  To figure 20%, just double the amount you get when you move the decimal point.  If 10% equals $3.00, then 20% equals $6.00. 

No, I am not an elementary school math teacher.  :)

As others have said, most waiters/waitresses work for about half the minimum wage and rely on the tips to make working a profitable proposition.  That SHOULD motivate them to provide service above what most consider average.  I see this first hand working at Pizza Hut several nights a week (gotta love Dave Ramsey). 
Delivery tips seem to be more questionable as far as appropriate amounts.  You could do an interesting "socio-economic" study in regards to tip amounts as compared to residences.  Just last night I went to a gated estate that would be worth a minimum of half a million dollars (no joke) and got a $3 tip on a $20 order.  I also went to a trailer house that was likely built in the 1970's with steps that tilt away from the porch (feel like you are leaning backwards as you climb up) and got a $6 tip on a $20 order.  It's generally not a profitable situation when mom and dad send the teenager or kids to the door with the money.   :-\
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

goblr77

20% in most cases. If I'm eating somewhere real cheap I will tip more.