OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fall season next week

Started by YoungGobbler, October 19, 2024, 10:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungGobbler

Fall season opens next sathurday on the 26 and I am ready for it! Scouted a few spots, planning on taking the friday off to scout some more and roost some birds if possible. Hope I can get a bird and have some fun action.
Sathurday and sunday may be the only days I'll get to hunt turkeys this fall since the season only last 7 days here, one weekend and 5 week days.
Good luck to all of you who hunt fall season.

Dougas

Tom007

eggshell

I will be in Ky. Saturday morning the 26th. Talked to the land owner yesterday and he said he is seeing two flocks in the fields every day, so hopeful. I have to check the regs for changes though. I think it's one bearded gobbler and one hen/poult. You can't kill two of either. I usually only hunted gobblers, but now I have to make a choice. I was encouraged this fall in my home turf in Ohio. We saw more young of year fall hunting then we have seen in years. So the dry hot summer was good for poult rearing. Our birds seem pretty stable in most areas, but I see pockets where something happened to birds. My cousin's farm (1,000 acres ) is almost devoid of birds. I pretty much controlled all the harvest on this farm for 40 plus years and the harvest from hunting was very limited. You could count on a general flock of around 75 birds annually on it. I would allow 3-6 birds annually to be taken, fall and spring combined. IN the matter of one year, the flock was decimated. It had to be disease. Harvest restrictions won't guarantee you more birds. I only say this to combat the criticism of fall hunting and it's believed impact. 

Lcmacd 58

Greg Massey

YoungGobbler

Quote from: eggshell on October 20, 2024, 07:58:52 AMI will be in Ky. Saturday morning the 26th. Talked to the land owner yesterday and he said he is seeing two flocks in the fields every day, so hopeful. I have to check the regs for changes though. I think it's one bearded gobbler and one hen/poult. You can't kill two of either. I usually only hunted gobblers, but now I have to make a choice. I was encouraged this fall in my home turf in Ohio. We saw more young of year fall hunting then we have seen in years. So the dry hot summer was good for poult rearing. Our birds seem pretty stable in most areas, but I see pockets where something happened to birds. My cousin's farm (1,000 acres ) is almost devoid of birds. I pretty much controlled all the harvest on this farm for 40 plus years and the harvest from hunting was very limited. You could count on a general flock of around 75 birds annually on it. I would allow 3-6 birds annually to be taken, fall and spring combined. IN the matter of one year, the flock was decimated. It had to be disease. Harvest restrictions won't guarantee you more birds. I only say this to combat the criticism of fall hunting and it's believed impact.
Good luck to you for this sathurday. Sounds like you have something good in sight.

I think my plan is made for this week-end... I have access to some field where there is a good 15-20 birds flock roaming. The thing is that they moove on a few fields, from fly-down to where they seem to feed around 8 O'clock... So the question I have is pretty much where to sit  ;D 

Do I sit close to the roost, to get them on fly down, do I sit where I guess their trail is between the roost and the food, or I wait for them at the food...!

I will use my friday morning to scout with my eyes only to confirm what they truly do on a typical morning and then we'll see...

The joys of turkey hunting...