OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Accessories..........

Started by Tarheel, August 08, 2024, 09:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

Whether it is one of Yoder409's leather call cases, or something else, I like and enjoy nice turkey call accessories. This happens to be a bamboo call case I'm working on for a trumpet yelper. I cut this bamboo off a tract in the Roanoke River basin lowlands 7-8 years ago, and it finally dried for me to be able to use it. I've designed the leather end caps a little different to ensure durability. This section of bamboo is almost perfectly round. Frankly, I could not hope to find a nicer piece for a call case.

fordhunt

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

sbbow

That looks really nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LMO

Will

That looks very nice Mr. Marvin

Notsoyoungturk

A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

EZ

Yoder409

Mr. Marvin......

That is off EVERY chart there is !!!!!!!   :drool:

Positively OUTSTANDING !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

crow

Very nice work, sharp. Now you need to make something to protect your case.

turkey stew

Turkeybutt

Good looking case and I like the artwork as well. That's thinking outside the box bud. Thanks for sharing.

Tarheel

Yesterday I finally finished the bamboo trumpet yelper case. Because of the tight inside diameter of the bamboo tube, I had to pre-drill holes in both the bamboo and the leather to facilitate attaching the leather hinge for the open end cap, and I had to use curved harness needles for the stitching. Straight needles couldn't make the internal curve of the bamboo tube. A 1/16" drill bit was about as large as I could use for drilling holes to avoid the risk of overly weakening the bamboo between holes. I double stitched the leather hinge to ensure long-term durability, which created problems for the stitching needle because the double stitching filled the 1/16" holes and put a bind on the needle eye when the needle bottomed out when pulling it through the hole the final 1/8". I ended up breaking 3 curved harness needles. Unfortunately, I have to be willing to sacrifice the curved harness needles if I want to make the case like I make it. I've had several people suggest that I just drill a larger hole, but I will just sacrifice the needles. The 1/16" hole is the maximum size needed. And when you look at the end cap, you will see I double stitched everything....LOL!! Bamboo isn't indestructible, but using this call case will not hurt it. You will add a little patina over the years using it, but there is no question it can be passed on to the next generation.  I tried to add a picture of the completed case, but I couldn't figure out how to download a picture to a reply.

3bailey3