OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who would have thought........

Started by Tarheel, July 07, 2024, 04:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

Approximately 4 years ago, I had a callmaker friend come to me at an outdoor show and insist I go by a vendor booth and purchase some moose antler to use to make turkey calls. Reluctantly, I went with him to go see the moose antler. Frankly, I wasn't impressed with moose antler, but he insisted I buy some. The moose antler had been cut into pieces for dog chews, and I just didn't see the potential my friend did. Regardless, I purchased a bag of moose antler dog chews. The moose antler was quite weathered, but my friend insisted if I had it stabilized I would be impressed when I turned it. Eventually, I found someone that said they could stabilize the moose antler for me that I trusted had the equipment and know-how to do it properly. After finally getting it back 10 months later, I had lost interest and motivation to do anything with it....until I found the box last week in my workshop and decided to turn a piece of moose antler. The new owner was standing at my side impatiently waiting for me to finish it up. He didn't even let me take it off the lathe. Now I need to purchase some more moose antler....some that hasn't been cut up into dog chews. 

outdoornut

pic not showing

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

davisd9

Beautiful call Mr. Breedlove. I have some calls with antler mouthpieces but not a whole call. How does the sound resonate and sound?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

3bailey3

callmakerman

Beautiful work and I'm sure full of turkey.

Tarheel

Quote from: davisd9 on July 07, 2024, 05:25:04 PMHow does the sound resonate and sound?

Frankly, I really didn't want to part with this one. The old BGI yelpers were made from bone or antler, so I wasn't hesitant in that regard. I really like the sound. This one is especially easy to call real softly with, yet still has the volume to take it to what ever volume level you desire. It is just a really nice trumpet yelper. I already have some more moose antler coming to make some more trumpet yelpers. The next one I turn, hopefully, I will be hunting with next spring. I have some smaller short pieces of moose antler , but I really haven't decided what I want to do with them yet.

davisd9

Quote from: Tarheel on July 07, 2024, 06:55:04 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on July 07, 2024, 05:25:04 PMHow does the sound resonate and sound?

Frankly, I really didn't want to part with this one. The old BGI yelpers were made from bone or antler, so I wasn't hesitant in that regard. I really like the sound. This one is especially easy to call real softly with, yet still has the volume to take it to what ever volume level you desire. It is just a really nice trumpet yelper. I already have some more moose antler coming to make some more trumpet yelpers. The next one I turn, hopefully, I will be hunting with next spring. I have some smaller short pieces of moose antler , but I really haven't decided what I want to do with them yet.

I am sure it is all turkey. I have seen some other calls turned in various antlers but have no personal experience outside mouthpieces. I think that may be the prettiest one I have seen from an antler. Congratulations to the new owner! I am sure they are over the moon with the call!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tarheel

Here's a picture of one of the pieces of moose antler....it really wasn't much to look at.

Oh, well.....for whatever reason it will not let me add the picture, so..........................

callmakerman

Quote from: Tarheel on July 07, 2024, 06:55:04 PM

Small pieces are good for tree yelpers.

KYTurkey07

You turned that antler into a very beautiful trumpet. Would like to hear how it sounds.

Tarheel

OK, I have 5.5 lbs of moose antler shipping to me first thing in the morning. Now I need to find someone that can stabilize it and get it back to me quickly.

Woodleyrd

War Nock

Jesus
Its better to know him before you meet him.
Stop ,drop, n roll will not work in hell
        (unknown)

EZ

Quote from: davisd9 on July 07, 2024, 06:59:46 PMI think that may be the prettiest one I have seen from an antler.

I couldn't agree more....gorgeous!!!