OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Example Of How Tough These Birds Are

Started by Gobble!, July 01, 2024, 07:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Came across something interesting while cleaning this year's skulls. It's not odd for me to find other folks pellets in birds I kill but this was a first.

Looks like someone read into the long distance hype you see the manufacturers advertise and had one get away.

The bone started to regrow around the pellet. One of my #9s were lodged in this bottom jaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Turkeybutt

I'm sure we would see many more like this if people took the time to clean them. Very tough and resilient birds!

KYTurkey07

That's fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

deerhunt1988

That is pretty wild. The pellet looks larger than your TSS pellet? Could you approximate what size/type of shot it was?

Lcmacd 58

Dtrkyman

I find pellets fairly regularly when cleaning birds, but have never cleaned the heads.

Would have been cool for a collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelmo1

All the more reason to know your equipment and ammo's capabilities and learn what not to do. I do understand we are killing these animals. The idea is to make it humane. That looks like it was probably excruciating to endure. That looks like a large lead pellet, how far did the "hunter" shoot to only get that much penetration? :OGturkeyhead:  :OGturkeyhead:  Z

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: zelmo1 on July 01, 2024, 03:17:17 PMAll the more reason to know your equipment and ammo's capabilities and learn what not to do. I do understand we are killing these animals. The idea is to make it humane. That looks like it was probably excruciating to endure. That looks like a large lead pellet, how far did the "hunter" shoot to only get that much penetration? :OGturkeyhead:  :OGturkeyhead:  Z

I agree 100%

WV Flopper

Dougas

I usually find old pellets and bone disfigurations in the legs and once in a while the wings. If one shoots the head at close range, you don't have that problem.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: zelmo1 on July 01, 2024, 03:17:17 PMAll the more reason to know your equipment and ammo's capabilities and learn what not to do. I do understand we are killing these animals. The idea is to make it humane. That looks like it was probably excruciating to endure. That looks like a large lead pellet, how far did the "hunter" shoot to only get that much penetration? :OGturkeyhead:  :OGturkeyhead:  Z

My thoughts exactly.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

WV Flopper

No point in riding a high horse! If you have ever missed a turkey,"You probably left a mark!"

zelmo1

We have all missed. My point is that people are sometimes reckless and dont think clearly. And coincidentally, I ride a donkey.  :funnyturkey: Z

Sir-diealot

Quote from: WV Flopper on July 02, 2024, 09:34:51 PMNo point in riding a high horse! If you have ever missed a turkey,"You probably left a mark!"

No high hose at all, it you are close enough that pellet should penetrate enough to kill. I disagree in part with the last statement, it would depend on how far you missed by.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."