turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bearded hen?

Started by mountaineer long beard, June 19, 2024, 12:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer long beard

I wonder if you all could help me out. There is some discussion here at work as to whether this is a Jake or a bearded hen. For the record I've seen it gobble and strut if that matters.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Bearded hen and believe it or not they can strut and gobble, there was a large discussion about it here either earlier this year or last last year.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwrLqn2zu2A&t=29s
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

My vote is for bearded hen. Legs have zero "bumps" where spurs should be, at least it looks that way in pics?

Darryl

I say hen. I once had a hen come to my calling in full strut and gobbling, although the gobble was a little off. Also common to see bearded hens in my part of Ontario

KYTurkey07

I'm going with a Jake because of the black tipped feathers. What he lacks in spurs nubs he makes up for with his beard.

Guskie

I thought it had black tipped breast feathers at first glance on my phone. But appears to be a hen after closer look

Bottomland OG

Looks like a bearded hen to me all day long. I have witnessed a hen rio strut before but never gobble. I have a friend who sent me a video 3 years ago he took of one that was doing both, she was an eastern.

GobbleNut

If I had to bet my life on it, I would bet on "bearded hen", but I would be sweating it out.  ;D  :D
That decision would be based on the head appearance alone.  Whether it be a jake or mature gobbler, I have never seen a male turkey without more coloration in the head, especially at least some hints of red.

For me, the beard length itself is not a determining factor in that I have seen a number of hens over the years with beards like that. The thinness of the beard also says "hen turkey" to me. I have seen gobblers with beards that long...but never that thin.

I do agree that the dark body coloration looks more like a male turkey, but when putting all the "considerations" together, I would still go with it being a hen...and hope that bolt of lightning isn't on its way...  ;D  :angel9:

ChesterCopperpot

Sure looks henny in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Fahs

TrackeySauresRex

I've seen a Hen gobble and strut before.  It was a terrible gobble but she was trying,  :TooFunny:
I'd say Hen.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

mountaineer long beard

A little more info. It just showed up at the mine where I work in the middle of turkey season. It never showed any fear of the equipment or really even people so we assumed it was hatched and raised on a farm somewhere nearby. When it first showed up it would shock gobble at the back up alarm and horn on my front end loader. For a day or two it had a Jake with it but it disappeared. This thing is still hanging around and it follows me around like it's my dog. Strangest thing

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

KYTurkey07

Whatever it is, it's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

WV Flopper

LOL, you'll have a hen and poults following you around in a bit.

That's a hen.

Dougas

It's a hen. A jake would have a more pronounced snood. I have usually 1 to 3 bearded hens in my yard most days. I have hens here in my yard with black tipped feathers with no trace of hen plumage. There is no doubt in my mind that it is a hen.

The hens in may yard strut, gobble and push each other around like a male might do.