OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No Northeastern Call Makers Summit Anymore

Started by Sir-diealot, June 19, 2024, 02:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 19, 2024, 12:20:50 PM
Quote from: Turkeybutt on June 19, 2024, 09:05:47 AMIs there a reason there wont be a Northeastern Call Makers Summit? 
Not enough interest, the one two years ago was sparse compared to the previous ones which I think was because we were just coming off Covid and I think last year there were some scheduling difficulties. I wish he would try one more year but I understand. Only place I got to be around any turkey hunters, none of my friends are what I would call turkey hunters, just those that hunt turkey and there is a big difference!
That's a shame Steve, know you liked hitting this show. I been to Unicoi the last two years but definitely wanted to try an go to this show was just looking up info. on it.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Spring Creek Calls

Loved this venue, small and personal. And the Lobster Bash the next day was out of this world.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Will

Yup, sad to see this fold. I bought some nice calls from that show and met some fine call makers.   

Sir-diealot

Yes I really did like going there, it was nice meeting members from here and also call makers I had only read about. Really enjoyed meeting Tony Ezolt, very nice and friendly guy as well as Jimmy Schaffer, really hit it off with Jimmy as well as Mike from Spring Creek Calls and Jody from Preacherman Game Calls. Others as well of course but those are who come to mind right away. I just have zero interest in big shows, as stated above it was more family oriented. It was nice seeing some of those young kids get their first custom calls and the looks on their faces.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

doublespurs21

as the years go by.. don't you it was to much work for Pete to set up and run the show,, plus cooking all the food.......

Sir-diealot

Quote from: doublespurs21 on July 06, 2024, 03:43:35 PMas the years go by.. don't you it was to much work for Pete to set up and run the show,, plus cooking all the food.......

He seemed to have a good crew working with him including his wife Sherrie* I did not think that was a problem as all shows have to be coordinated and he does many others throughout the year there. I do still believe Covid killed it, I did not see it last year because of my surgery so I don't know how it was as compared to 2022 but I know 2022 way down for sure.

I wish there were some other small shows as close to me as that one was, I could drive there in an hour and leave just about an hour before dark and not have to worry about my night blindness being a problem. The Lobster Bash holds zero interest for me, I am not willing to pay $100.00 to eat something I do not even know if I like.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

vt35mag

Real bummer, always looked forward to it. Lower key event with great people.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NYturkey

It's too bad the show won't go on. I had meant to get there this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: vt35mag on July 11, 2024, 07:07:57 PMReal bummer, always looked forward to it. Lower key event with great people.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Low key is what I liked about it. I do not like big events with boisterous personalities at them.

Quote from: NYturkey on July 12, 2024, 08:35:59 AMIt's too bad the show won't go on. I had meant to get there this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You missed a lot of fun.

John Koenig:

EZ

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 07, 2024, 02:25:06 AMI did not think that was a problem as all shows have to be coordinated and he does many others throughout the year there. I do still believe Covid killed it, I did not see it last year because of my surgery so I don't know how it was as compared to 2022 but I know 2022 way down for sure.

It wasn't held last year because of lack of interest.

I always loved Turkey Trot. Very cool venue and a beautiful area. I think COVID put the final nail in the coffin, but it was on it's way down. IMHO, the location (out in the middle of no-where) was probably the biggest downfall. Getting enough buyers there year after year was the biggest problem.

Everybody I know really liked going there.

Spring Creek Calls

Not getting buyers there was puzzling to me. Hard to imagine an area of the country with more turkey hunters per square mile than NY/PA.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

EZ

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on July 14, 2024, 02:11:25 PMNot getting buyers there was puzzling to me. Hard to imagine an area of the country with more turkey hunters per square mile than NY/PA.

Very true Mike (BTW, was very nice meeting you there), but folks interested in custom calls are a very, very small percentage of the overall turkey hunting population.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: EZ on July 14, 2024, 08:52:52 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 07, 2024, 02:25:06 AMI did not think that was a problem as all shows have to be coordinated and he does many others throughout the year there. I do still believe Covid killed it, I did not see it last year because of my surgery so I don't know how it was as compared to 2022 but I know 2022 way down for sure.

I always loved Turkey Trot. Very cool venue and a beautiful area. I think COVID put the final nail in the coffin, but it was on it's way down. IMHO, the location (out in the middle of no-where) was probably the biggest downfall. Getting enough buyers there year after year was the biggest problem.

Quote from: EZ on July 14, 2024, 08:52:52 AM

Now to my knowledge there had only been 4 shows before Covid, (Please correct me if I am wrong bud, you would know better than I would) so I just can't see how something would be on it's way out that quickly. I know they had it scheduled for one time, then they changed it trying to make it on a Saturday instead of on a Friday but from what I saw from the outside just what was online is it was changed very close to show dates and there was a problem getting call makers because there was another show that Saturday. I know the move stopped me from being able to go because I had scheduled my surgery Sept. 1 so that I could go and when they changed it it was at a time right after I had had my surgery and I could not risk people stepping on my foot. I would have much rather have seen the Lobster Bash canceled myself.

The venue was wonderful to me, kept the wannabe turkey hunters and loudmouths out it seemed. I saw one guy there in 3 years of going that was rather boisterous/full of himself and people got sick of being nice to him quick and he did not stay long. The only thing I do agree is the turn in itself was not well marked, I drove two miles past it the first time I came, saw it but since it was not marked figured that must not be it. Found it anyway on the way back down the hill thankfully. I had hoped to get one of those limited edition scratch box calls in the presentation boxes last year and then hoped to this year but clearly won't be happening at all now.

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on July 14, 2024, 02:11:25 PMNot getting buyers there was puzzling to me. Hard to imagine an area of the country with more turkey hunters per square mile than NY/PA.
As far as I know they had sold out every year on pre registration, but I clearly was on the outside looking in. Every year but the year after covid was packed it seemed.

Quote from: EZ on July 14, 2024, 05:10:59 PM

Very true Mike (BTW, was very nice meeting you there), but folks interested in custom calls are a very, very small percentage of the overall turkey hunting population.

It was nice meeting both of you there as well. I just wish there was something else close to go to, it is nice to handle something before you buy it and I really enjoyed speaking to Mr. Watkins, very pleasant man, still hope to get an apple wood call from him, no matter how hard I tried I could not talk him into making me one with Apple and Black Mulberry though. Would have been a memory call, my first job was picking drops in the apple orchards and I remember picking black mulberries from the tree on a property my father owned with my sisters, would mean even more now that she has passed.

John Koenig: