OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red, Green, Black Slate what’s the advantages of each

Started by LMO, June 07, 2024, 10:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMO

Can someone explain the main differences in the Sounds of different colors of slate,

Sir-diealot

There are others that can explain this better than I can but I think the main difference is pitch, This is all with slate over slate for conversations sake, soundboard will make a difference in pitch as well) black would be the lowest pitch, purple next, then green which seems to be the easiest to play to me by the way and then red is the highest pitch.

When it comes to turkeys and calls I think of it this way, some guys like blonds, some like brunettes, some like chestnut hair and then there are guys like me that love redheads. Male turkey are like men, they have their preference in sound, some days they want something soft and mellow and other days they want that loud bodacious redhead and some of them change that up each day and you have to figure out what hair color they like that day and make sure you have that option.

I hope my odd way of thinking helps.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

LMO

Yes, i didn't know about the different pitches of each, great explanation, Thanks

KYTurkey07

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 08, 2024, 07:47:09 AMThere are others that can explain this better than I can but I think the main difference is pitch, This is all with slate over slate for conversations sake, soundboard will make a difference in pitch as well) black would be the lowest pitch, purple next, then green which seems to be the easiest to play to me by the way and then red is the highest pitch.

When it comes to turkeys and calls I think of it this way, some guys like blonds, some like brunettes, some like chestnut hair and then there are guys like me that love redheads. Male turkey are like men, they have their preference in sound, some days they want something soft and mellow and other days they want that loud bodacious redhead and some of them change that up each day and you have to figure out what hair color they like that day and make sure you have that option.

I hope my odd way of thinking helps.

I'm glad you explained this. I had always wondered the same thing myself.

Greg Massey

Agree,the different color slates play different because of the coarseness of the slate. Some will have a higher front end pitch while others grab the striker and cause it to have a more raspy pitch.

If you use the Search on the forum and type in different type slates etc, you can find out a lot of different opinions about the different color slates ... I hope this helps.

For myself green and purple slate are my 2 favorites ...

LMO

So after a Trip to the World Championship in Mobile today I picked up from Wicked Hen GC a Ceramic,Purple Slate and a 2 sided Glass/Red Slate, they all sound great. Richard Morris was super nice and extremely helpful

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LMO on June 08, 2024, 07:59:19 PMSo after a Trip to the World Championship in Mobile today I picked up from Wicked Hen GC a Ceramic,Purple Slate and a 2 sided Glass/Red Slate, they all sound great. Richard Morris was super nice and extremely helpful

Welcome to the disease... "No cure wanted"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."