OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Post season gear assessment/ recommendation

Started by Moore, May 30, 2024, 12:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moore

I had a great season and was able to harvest two really nice Rios. I hunted in Oklahoma,  Texas, Kansas, and Wisconsin, but while hunting those states I learned a turkey vest might be the best option than my turkey satchel to evenly distribute the weight of my gear while running and running.  I currently use Cabela's strut seat which is nice and worked on most setups, didn't work well in others especially in Texas. I'm thinking a lounger would be nice since I have a bad back and also I tried one in Oklahoma and it was nice. I'm currently looking at the Alp Super Elite 4.0 and their Alps Vanish MC. What are your thoughts on those products or other recommendations for turkey vest and Longer.
[

KYTurkey07

I have like my Cabela's tactical tatr 2, it's good for moving a lot and has a nice cushion. I also have a Cabela's low profile chair I will use if I plan on staying in one place.

Gooserbat

Chest pack and a Glenda Green butt cushion.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tail Feathers

I carry a lounger chair most of the time.  I sometimes use a BeardBuster stadium type seat and a Klymit cushion in it for running and gunning.  I tried an Alps Sling pack this spring but usually just wear my Cabela's Tactical Tat'r II vest and carry a lounger on a gunsling.

Comfort helps me stay still and being still helps kill turkeys.
And read the weight numbers on those loungers, they aren't all the same. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

husker

I ditched my vest years ago for a lounger and haven't looked back.  WAY more comfortable and super easy to sling over my shoulder and still be mobile.   I have both a Cabela's version and a Browning Strutter.  The Browning set me back a few more bucks and I can't say it's any better than the Cabela's.  Both work great. 

Dtrkyman

No way I am carrying an 8lb chair, lafuma low chair, less than 2 lbs and pretty close in comfort to a lounger.

WV Flopper

I wore my vest, Alps 4.0 the first two days of VA and WV. It's a nice vest but very heavy at the end of the day.

I have a chest pack with a back water bladder that also carries snacks. It is much lighter than a vest. No seat, but haven't had to many issues without the seat yet.

Turkeybutt

It all comes down to what type of hunt I am having. At times my Glenda Green Satchel works great while at other times I prefer my Nomad vest. I did try one of the loungers (As a matter of fact I have two of them) and don't care for them. If I don't have a sapling to help pull myself up, I have to roll out of the chair onto the ground, get on my knees and try to get up.
I now have a black folding collapsible chair that sits 18 or 20" off the ground. I took some camo burlap and covered the chair, and it works great.
I put a detachable sling on it and I'm good to go!

NYturkey

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 30, 2024, 02:41:15 PMChest pack and a Glenda Green butt cushion.
That's where I'm headed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Currently use the alps long spur deluxe. By itself it's pretty light weight. It has 2 small chest packs and a fanny pack with a seat. It has room for everything I need and more; 2 pot calls, a box call, 4 or 5 strikers, a clippers, bug spray, face mask and gloves,compass, range finder, snacks, a holder that fits a Gatorade size bottle nicely with another stuffed in the fanny pack along with my rain gear and battery pack for charging a phone.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Prospector

Glenda Green for me. No contest. Her seat as well. I walk and move a good bit. The seat is no lounger but it's easier carried. If you are carrying so much stuff that the satchel makes that big a diff I suggest leaving something. I carry a 20oz thermos of coffee or water most days along with a good # of calls- mostly friction as I don't have a lot of confidence in mouth yelpers. I also use a parachord strap from my rear belt loop to secure strap on my hip to keep it there when I'm " bobbin n weavin". Just my $.02 Sir and probably worth less than that.
#NeverBakToTheVest!
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Lcmacd 58

I was not able to hunt with my Waldrop chair because I got it after season but everything so far shows it to be a winner.

PalmettoRon

Still using a Bucklick Creek vest which is $99 at Bass Pro/Cabelas. Hunting around the country, sometimes there isn't a good tree to set up on. This has a stadium seat type back and has pockets for everything.I have good back support anywhere.

The vest itself isn't that heavy.

I would reinforce the top with heavy weight fishing line as the plastic struts of the stadium seat may extrude over time.

BDeal

I love the grounded vest and wear it about 90% of the time. The Cabelas Speed Seat and Marsipual Chest pack is great when its really warm or if I'm going to walk a lot.

BDeal

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 31, 2024, 04:58:44 PMNo way I am carrying an 8lb chair, lafuma low chair, less than 2 lbs and pretty close in comfort to a lounger.

I love my Lafuma-have two of them but it is nowhere near as comfortable as my 7 lb Barronett lounger. If im not walking too far, I'll take the lounger every time.