OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Too Close for Missiles

Started by falconiii, May 24, 2024, 11:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconiii

When you're so close you can't even switch to guns, what's the play? Have found myself within 10 yards of birds two years in a row and two misses.

Lcmacd 58

Thats what we all strive for however the new tunes are like shooting a rifle at that range. Aim small ....

Ihuntoldschool

Break his leg and his wing. 

Twowithone

Let em strool out to 15 yds hit him with a cluck hell pop that periscope up and shazam you got yourself a gobbler. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

KYTurkey07

Quote from: Twowithone on May 26, 2024, 07:49:52 AMLet em strool out to 15 yds hit him with a cluck hell pop that periscope up and shazam you got yourself a gobbler. :OGturkeyhead:

I agree. Be patient. Watch and enjoy the show until he moves further away. You never know his bigger buddy might show up and be in range.

ChesterCopperpot

Patience and hope, or build a double. Either you sit and close your eyes and pray he gets to 20 or greater without anything going awry, or you build a double with an incredibly open second option. It's why I wound up building a side by side the way I did. My open barrel is a straight cylinder bore throwing Fiochii Golden Pheasant #7s about the size of a basketball close. I've got that trigger taped up so I never confuse my, "Oh $hit," barrel with my turkey choked barrel. Gun handles incredibly well. I think doubles and singles lend themselves to making great turkey guns in that they lack the extra length of an action so they tend to be as short or shorter than pumps or autos that have 3-4" less barrel. Anyhow, I think that's the only two choices you've got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Todays tight chokes almost mandate an optic on turkey Guns. It allows you to pinpoint and zero in your POI. Apple size patterns at real close ranges require patient, perfectly placed shots. When I have the luxury of seeing a Tom approaching me, I take my shot at 25/30 yards. That gives me a soccer ball size pattern allowing a "head-Bob" and still giving me a solid, lethal hit. If he pops up at 10 yards, be patient, concentrate and wait for a steady, clear neck and head shot.....
"Solo hunter"