turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I Admit I'm A Flashlight Junkie

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, July 20, 2011, 02:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Got this in the mail today.  It came from overseas since you can't hardly buy them like this over in the US.  It's a Cree Q5 led TrustFire TR-1200 lumen rated light.  It's pure quality in everyway.  And it takes the bigger 3.7V lithium ion 18650 batteries which are a little more powerful than 2 AA batteries.  I'll have to post a picture of the batteries in a bit.  Here's the light.  This thing will probably throw a beam say 300-400yds.  5 Modes: Max - High - Low - Strobe – SOS

dirt road ninja

People collect anything. Why not Flash lights. First time I ever read /heard the phrase "flashlight junkie".

Appears to be well built. I've had the same hunting light since the late 90's.

Out of curiosity, how many lights does one have to own to be a junkie?

ILIKEHEVI-13

I don't know but I got 2 more good lights coming.  I had to buy my boy a good one that is rated at 1000 lumens but in reality it probably is a legit 600 lumen + light.  That light above is probably a legit 1000-1100 lumen light.  I have a Coleman 137 lumen light and I would say it is about 7 times brighter than it.  

My next one I buy later on is going to be a JetBeam BC40 XM-L 830 lumen light.  Here's what it looks like and the video.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_22&products_id=2930

www.goinggear.com

He actually does several youtube videos on the lights he sells.  

lightsoutcalls

I have a little coleman light, don't know what lumen rating is on it, but it throws a great, very white beam a good 40 yards.  I got it for seeing house numbers at night from the street while delivering pizza.  It definitely does the job I wanted it for. 

Your new light sounds like it would signal aircraft!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Wendell,  Coleman make a great flashlight for the money.  One of the better flashlights you can buy at Walmart for sure.  The 137 lumen Coleman light I have will throw a beam a good 100yds or more.  I'll post a picture of it.  

Give me a sec.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's the Coleman.  I paid about $25 for it plus tax.  It's a good light.  Throws a good beam.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Wendell,  Heres a beam shot from the Coleman MAX 137 lumen light. 

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...

Gobblestopper

Funny you should bring up being a flashlight "Junkie".   I just overheard a women in the Walmart sporting goods area yesterday dressing down her man about his flashlight, knife and rope "fetish".  I don't know what might be worse? Having a Fetish or being a monkey-on-your-back Junkie.

Later! Got to go sort and reorganize my many tackle boxes now and maybe make a list of things I might "need" or check the catalogs and see if there is something that I dont already have.

ps. Nice flashlight! There are certainly a lot worse things to spend your money on.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's a shot down the street with the TrustFire TR-1200.  The 1st street sign is about 110yds.  If you look past the cars on the right, you will see the last street sign that is lit up.  That is around 220yds or so.

Houndstooth Game Calls

I dont think I have ever seen anyone take a picture of their flashlight beam! :you_rock:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on July 20, 2011, 11:52:39 PM
I dont think I have ever seen anyone take a picture of their flashlight beam! :you_rock:

Well I just went and took a better one with the nite setting.  It's a lot clearer and does the light more justice to how truly bright it really is.  This light is brighter than a car light. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Guys,

I will tell you that I only paid $37 total to my door for that light.  That light would cost you probably 3 times if not more as much here in the US if they offered it in a store like Cabelas.  

I bought that light off of a guy on ebay.  

Here's the guy I bought it from.  This is a buy it now one though.  My light did have some very small nicks in the finish.  I just took a black sharpie and colored them in.  For the money, that light will smoke lights costing $100 or more.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/1200-Lumens-CREE-5x-Led-Q5-5-Mode-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-/180687254189?pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item2a11ccb2ad

Reloader

That's a dang sure bright beam.

I've had good luck with Surefire and UK.  I have a pile of UK SL6 lights that are bright as heck and keep batteries 4 times as long as my Surefire.  I found the SL6s for $28 shipped a while back and bought 8 or 10.  $28 included 6 Duracells as well.

I've never been much on LEDs for blood trailing and always found Xenon to be much better, but I found out last year that the really bright LED lights work just fine for blood.

I too am sort of a flashlight junkie, probably have 20-30 here and there.  The sad thing is sometimes I can't find one when I need it.