turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mexico?

Started by Up Hill, May 02, 2024, 08:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Guess I'm glad I went twice and survived both times.

Luckily I got a pair of Gould's, a pair of Ocellateds, and I'm too poor to go do either hunt again.   :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

joey46

Just looked at the Jim Shockey site again.  Two Mexico hunts still listed. Neither cheap.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Yoder409 on July 21, 2024, 08:09:59 PMGuess I'm glad I went twice and survived both times.

Luckily I got a pair of Gould's, a pair of Ocellateds, and I'm too poor to go do either hunt again.  :TooFunny:

:TooFunny:
I hear ya' buddy!  A couple of decades ago, I was fortunate enough to be able to go down there several times when it was relatively cheap. Back then, we could kill two gobblers for half the price of killing a single bird now. Times have changed, for sure. Even if I was willing to risk it, I am just not willing to pay the current price to kill another one.

As for the safety issue, I'm not sure we were any safer back then than it seems to be now, but we never had a problem. Looking back, I cringe a little bit thinking about what could have happened based on the stories we hear about recently. Perhaps things were safer back then...but perhaps we were just lucky...

Having said that, for those considering going down there through a reputable outfitter, I think the odds of having a good, safe hunt are pretty high. We don't hear about all the hunts that take place without incident...just the few that do which admittedly are pretty scary...and make a guy think twice about going.