turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mexico?

Started by Up Hill, May 02, 2024, 08:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalmettoRon

I looked over Jim Shockey's site. I'm really interested in the hunts he offers in Iran.

I mean nothing could go wrong there. ;)

GobbleNut

Quote from: PalmettoRon on June 09, 2024, 08:30:26 AMI looked over Jim Shockey's site. I'm really interested in the hunts he offers in Iran.

I mean nothing could go wrong there. ;)

:TooFunny:  :TooFunny:

I suppose the "silver lining" to the whole "Mexico Goulds hunting" thing might be that, if enough of stories like the Outdoor Life one show up, the price of those hunts will probably go down quite a bit!  ;D  :angel9:

Dtrkyman

Shockey himself got into a rough situation down there not too long ago, it is on one of his shows.

TrackeySauresRex

Scary schtuff right there in that story! :0
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

capecodmike

Tough enough to win the home games.

joey46

Can't find the Shockey episode mentioned.  He's been to several places I would avoid over the years.

Dtrkyman

It was on his uncharted show a while ago.

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Dtrkyman on June 14, 2024, 11:29:25 AMIt was on his uncharted show a while ago.
I want to say this episode was on tv a couple years ago I watched and he was telling the story and had a little footage to go along with it.

captpete

Lots of places in this world that are MUCH safer that I would rather visit/hunt.

joey46

Found a preview of that Shockey episode.  I had seen it at some point. Mexico off my bucket list. Too bad.  It looked like fun but standing on the side of the road with my hands up isn't my idea of a good time.

2flyfish4

Seems this topic is mostly about goulds in northern mexico.

What about ocellated in the Yucatan? Still not a good place?

PalmettoRon

I've not hunted in Campeche state in Mexico which is where almost all of the Mexican Ocellated trips are.

I do have friends who have been and said it was fine.

If you google Campeche and the city of Merida which is where most fly into, it is considered safe.

Lots of Americans go to Merida and the crime rate is low. I suspect that is even more true out in the country side.

I hunted in Guatemala with Lovett Williams for Ocellated, years ago and had a good time and no issues although there were more risks in that area. Actually called the birds up using a Doug Camp owl hooter and an electronic caller to mimic the sound of the male bird.

YoungGobbler

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 08, 2024, 09:32:07 AM
Quote from: Alabama556 on May 05, 2024, 08:24:02 PMThe police pulled them over at 3:45 in the morning and then let them go. The police then followed them and pulled them over again once they got a mile or so down a dirt road. The cop never got out of the car and stayed there until a pickup with 3 guys with Ak's showed up.

The police comment reminded me of the first time I/we went down there on our initial DIY hunt back in 2006. We had heard the stories about the police pulling people over...especially "foreigners"...and basically extorting money out of them before letting them go. 

We had hunted several days without issue, were driving back, and were almost to the U.S. Port of Entry when I noticed a police car coming up behind us on the rural highway we were on.  I nervously watched in my rear view mirror as the car followed along behind us for a while, and as expected, the lights came on and we were pulled over. I said to my buddy,..."Oh no, here we go", fully expecting to be harassed for a while and then having to pay some sort of "ransom" to get out of it.

We got out of my truck as two policemen got out of their patrol car and walked up to us.  We knew almost zero Spanish, but they knew just enough English to ask us what we were up to. With enough gesturing, pointing, and "pigeon-English" thrown in, we finally made them understand we had been "guajolote" hunting.

Their initial stern attitude gradually changed and, before long, they seemed genuinely interested and curious about our hunt.  We showed them the gobblers we had harvested, how we had used turkey calls to call them to us, and even pulled out our calls and demonstrated some turkey calling for them. All the while, I was still expecting them to demand some sort of bribe to let us go on.

However, after a few minutes, they just smiled and told us to go ahead, never demanding a thing from us. We jumped in the truck and headed on up the road towards the Port as quickly as we could...making sure to obey all speed limits and traffic rules...of course.  :D  ;D
I know a lot of Mexicans who live 'up here' and they are all very impressed and interested when I tell them I hunt 'Pavos y venados'... They would all want to come with me!

ChiefBubba

42 posts and the bad far out weighs the good. No way I'm going do there. I don't need one of them ugly sobs. Goulds well hopefully by the time I can't hunt anymore they'll be enough in the SW USA to hunt. Bubba

BBR12

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on June 16, 2024, 11:08:05 PMSeems this topic is mostly about goulds in northern mexico.

What about ocellated in the Yucatan? Still not a good place?

I had a friend (that went with a very reputable outfitter) that their camp in the jungle was taken hostage and held all day while the rest of the bad dudes went further into the jungle to rob another camp. The bad guys took everything they could load up. Left two vehicles but disabled them and told them if they left camp before the next day they would be killed. They got one vehicle running and waited till the next day to go into town. Cops would only take the report of "lost" passports. They didn't want to hear about them being robbed.
The outfitter said it was probably Guatemalan's that were running security for the cartels. They had never had an issue before that day.