turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Salvaging old mouth calls?

Started by mcw3734, March 30, 2024, 12:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Has anybody had success salvaging diaphragm calls with stuck reeds? Can they be brought back to usable life and keep that way?

I rinsed off my calls last season and just tossed them into a box. So now 10 months later, the reeds are really stuck together. I've carefully separated the reeds using toothpicks while not damaging latex (I think). While I have new calls for this year already, I was planning to use these old ones for practice calls in the truck during the commute.

I also plan on taking better care of them during the season. Sounds like storing them with 1:1 water and non-alcoholic mouthwash is popular.

Lcmacd 58

I use several things to keep mine separated and yes I have success with getting them unstuck about 75 % of the time.warm water ... a tooth pick and patience

runngun

Same here as far as the toothpick, also keep them in the refrigerator during the off season.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Greg Massey

In the off season i use paper clips to keep the reeds separated

Canadian

I store mine in the freezer...theyll never stick. If i cant use the freezer, so in the woods or on the road, i use plastic toothpics to keep the reeds separated. As for separating reeds thatre already stuck, as already mentioned, warm water and patience... just little by little. I also keep a frozen thermose on me when going to work, and put em in there during the day.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk