turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shooting Jakes ??

Started by Yoder409, March 27, 2024, 06:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

With the limited amount of time I have to hunt each year it's hard to pass up legal birds. If it's getting down to the wire and I haven't killed a bird I'll take a jake if I have the opportunity.

Tommy Strutsalot

I do not intend to shoot Jakes but as others have said, I've been fooled twice.  One time was last spring.  It was late morning and I fired one up deep in a wood block and he just came running.  Never strutted but I saw this beard swinging and was certain it was longbeard.  I didn't know until I went to check out his spurs.  Beard was 7.5"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Looks just like the super jake my nephew killed.  His was 6.5" but it was real thick how he came in and we both saw beard.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

GobbleNut

Generally speaking, I have no problem with anybody shooting a jake...even though I personally will not.  I will eat a tag every time, even if it is the last minute of the last day of the season.  Shooting a turkey to say I filled a tag just isn't that important to me anymore. 

Having said that, what should be of importance to all of us is understanding the impact of shooting jakes is in the specific location we are doing it.  The recurring theme across the turkey hunting spectrum is the idea that some places are experiencing sharp declines in their turkey populations.  Those declines are almost exclusively due to reproductive failure...which results in little or no population recruitment over time. 

In those specific circumstances, the survival of a jake (the rare male turkey that survived to adulthood) may be of more consequence than in others.  More importantly, having numerous hunters shooting jakes in those situations can potentially have a real impact in a declining turkey population's ability to recover if and when favorable conditions for successful reproduction/recruitment occur. 

Now, admittedly, the circumstances that fit the above scenario may be rare, but my personal perspective is one of asking the question,..."Is the jake I am about to shoot one that will live to breed some hens next spring resulting in a successful bunch of poults living to adulthood and impacting future turkey numbers here?"  Perhaps the answer is "no", but for me, I am going to be an optimist and say "let's take a chance on it and let this jake live".   

...If I really need to eat turkey that badly, I will go down to the local supermarket and buy one.  ...It is a lot cheaper to do that anyway...   ;D

Paulmyr

Recently on the wild turkey science podcast they talked about this thing called the turkey brotherhood. In this brotherhood siblings work together to establish territories and display to females with the dominant sibling getting breeding rights.  If remember correctly, I heard that hens prefer this. Interesting episode.

This episode has me thinking these harassing bands of Jake's are setting themselves up to take over the hierarchy.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Turkeyman

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 31, 2024, 10:21:32 AM
Generally speaking, I have no problem with anybody shooting a jake...even though I personally will not.  I will eat a tag every time, even if it is the last minute of the last day of the season.  Shooting a turkey to say I filled a tag just isn't that important to me anymore.

When I started turkey hunting many years ago I shot jakes. Nowadays I feel the same way, although in the last several years I'll admit I've shot a jake in mistake.

ChesterCopperpot

Had one last year last day of season that played the game too beautifully to pass. Gobbled, strutted, did everything you could ask for in a bird to hunt. He went home with me.

Turkeyman

I hear you! Back around 1980 or so on the last day of our NY season Memorial weekend I was taking the family down to PA to visit my parents. I made sure we left early so I could try one last time where I knew there was bird. Well...as luck would have it I called him in. A gobbling, strutting and pirouetting big jake. Without a doubt the "boss". He made the trip to my parent's place with me. Honestly, although that long ago, I think that's the last bird I've seen pirouette.

Turkeyman

To those of you that have never seen a bird pirouette...you may never. The difference between more naive birds in the past and pressured birds now.

eggshell

Jake survival may be the most impacted part of reduced bag limits. I know since Ohio went to 1 gobbler bag limit very few jakes are being shot. Before hunters would take an early season jake and then hunt longbeards. Now they hold out for the long beard. I know this is happening because i hear a lot of guys talking about it and I have seen it in the local hunters. As for me, I may still shoot a Jake, but I'm just going to say it was a mistake. JUst having fun guys, I'm not picking on anyone.

I rarely disagree with Gobblenut, but store bought turkey is no ways near as good as wild and I had way more fun acquiring the wild one, even a Jake.

As I've said I generally pass Jakes, but I am not going to say I will never shoot one. Last year I passed up 19 different jakes, some multiple times. With that many on the farms I hunted I doubt very seriously shooting one would have changed the breeding dynamics. I would guess there has not been a jake harvested off those farms in years. Maybe that's why there is a strong population on them, but these farms have the best turkey habitat you will find anywhere in this state. My belief is Jakes are fair game in a healthy flock, but in a depressed and stressed flock, protect them. Like it's been said many times, Habitat, Habitat and after that more Habitat. Outside of habitat only disease will reduce birds. Even predators aren't effective in good habitat. Many nest are preyed upon because hens are forced into poor nesting sites.

sbbow

Quote from: Vintage on March 27, 2024, 10:14:14 AM
To each his own. Shoot what you want as long as it's legal.
^^^
THIS
TO MANY PEOPLE WORRY ABOUT WHAT EVERYONE THINKS!

BE YOURSELF!!

quavers59

Sure. Definitely  in the Fall. Spring also sometimes.

countryboy3006

I shot jakes when I was first starting to turkey hunt and I shot one a couple years ago when I had my daughter sitting in a blind with me.  Usually I don't shoot them even if it is the last day and I still have a tag.  Just the way I do it but I don't have a problem if someone else wants to shoot them.

G squared 23

I am not a serious turkey hunter, I go 3 days a year and I want to get one.  No $12 shells or special chairs, I sit on a bucket. Properties I have to hunt are super limited and I'm not skilled or driven enough to hunt public. I'm probably the average turkey hunter.

I put a lot more effort into deer hunting, I would never shoot a small buck, so I can understand the elitist.  The only difference is that all turkeys look exactly the same, and no two whitetail racks (of any size) are the same.

Tom007

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on March 28, 2024, 08:27:46 PM
I do not intend to shoot Jakes but as others have said, I've been fooled twice.  One time was last spring.  It was late morning and I fired one up deep in a wood block and he just came running.  Never strutted but I saw this beard swinging and was certain it was longbeard.  I didn't know until I went to check out his spurs.  Beard was 7.5"

That sure looks like a Tom to me......
"Solo hunter"