turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your thoughts?

Started by jhoward11, March 26, 2024, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

Mississippi hunt this past week. 800 acre, lot of pines of course with some scattering of hardwoods, and several smaller food plot areas. Didn't here a gobble in 3 days, and there was 3 guys. 2nd day it started to rain about 2pm after we just made a call sequence. 2 hens come into edge of field and didn't like the decoys. 1 feeder, 1 breeder, 1 Jake. went right back into the woods. Then 5 min. later came back out with 18 other hens and 1 young tom. They left the field a few min. later without the Tom. He went with me. :) Question; while driving around, on 3 separate occasions we saw 1 Tom with 10-20 hens. Were we to early? Is that the way it is down south? Are we thinking very few Toms in the area? Never saw individual hens or satellite jakes. Just the big groups with 1 Tom. Again, no vocalization in 3 days. The owner sent me a pic off of trail cam the next day of 3 toms together on the 13th. What do you think? I was successful, but just curious as my partners weren't.

g8rvet

I have been having hen issues as well but have noticed this past weekend they are  moving off earlier.  North Florida here. 

Watched a gobbler fly down and he came back to the calls but would not quite finish the distance as he would not leave the hen we watched go to him.  I believe if there had been no hen, it would have ended badly for him.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

runngun

Still a little bit early down south, Louisiana anyway.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

YoungGobbler

Way up north here turkeys are flocked up. Big flocks of hen and poults and some tom with them or no tom at all. Maybe there's less tom also.