turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Walk in Gun Safe/ Display Room??

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 17, 2024, 10:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

I'm working on plans for having my new home built...With the amount of Guns & Turkey hunting calls,books,etc i have i want to just have a big walk in safe room with vault door...
I figured id have display cases for my calls etc in it..Then just grab whatever i want to hunt with..
Just curious if anyone has any ideas or pictures of theirs?

Alabama556

My brother has one in his house. It is probably 15-15 with 9-10 foot ceiling. It has poured concrete on the top and sides. The bottom is on the slab.

He has a tv and a couch in there for bad weather. He has installed the gun racks that you can customize on the top part of the wall and keeps shells, etc on the ground. He built a table to keep all of his turkey stuff on.

If I ever win the lottery I am building one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

Thanks..
Thats similar to what im thinking..Like a 3/4 basement since i need the safe room on solid ground...
I thought about mounting glass display cases on the walls for some of my calls...Then just pull them out when i use them..
The Vault door i want where i can leave open when home and look in from the living room to look at some of the stuff ive acquired over the years that i want to keep safe since i have somethings that i could never replace again..
I havent inherited or won the lottery..I  just have worked hard and probably had some luck through the years when taking chances where it could have gone one way or the other..
I live kind of frugal if something isnt considered a asset or can't make money..
Probably like alot of others..

cwhitfield96

I don't have a walk in safe but just bought an old gun case off FB to turn into a case to display calls.

cwhitfield96

Work in progress hope to finish this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

That'll be neat.I wish i was good at woodworking..I thought about setting a few cabinets kinda like that in there possibly for some of my calls...For guns i want like a rack that goes across the wall....I have a bunch of fans,legs,beard displays on barnwood i want to put in there& one full mount turkey,some good deer racks,etc...Need something for my trumpet calls also..Maybe a cabinet like yours with stand up pedestals on the shelves...

aclawrence

I've got a gun case like that and never even thought about turning it into a call case. Even though I've looked at curio cabinets for the same reason. It's actually in a basement with solid concrete walls and ceiling.  And a solid metal door. It's more of a storm shelter room than anything. Also not at my house.

Sir-diealot

Bud whatever you do I'd try to get it lined with steel, I know a guy that had a junkie break into his place steel all his guns a bunch of money and some other stuff, he never got any of it back even though they busted the dude because he'd already spent it on coke or crank or whatever drug it was he was using.  The guy had a door on the room like you're talking about and the guy just went around to another room and cut through, so just take that to account.

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 18, 2024, 11:11:02 PM
Bud whatever you do I'd try to get it lined with steel, I know a guy that had a junkie break into his place steel all his guns a bunch of money and some other stuff, he never got any of it back even though they busted the dude because he'd already spent it on coke or crank or whatever drug it was he was using.  The guy had a door on the room like you're talking about and the guy just went around to another room and cut through, so just take that to account.

It'll be fire proof and theft proof...Theres a pretty good place a few hours from me thats supposed to be really good im going to discuss some of it with..

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 18, 2024, 11:36:24 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 18, 2024, 11:11:02 PM

It'll be fire proof and theft proof...Theres a pretty good place a few hours from me thats supposed to be really good im going to discuss some of it with..

Good to hear. I don't much like the guy, he is a friend of the Mennonite I drive but man did I feel sorry for him.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dixiemagnum80

I wish I had an idea on displaying the calls for you. I have everything you're looking for but that. I built a walk-in gun safe in the corner of my basement 8 years ago when we added onto our home. Mine is 8'x12', concrete floor with interlocking foam tiles(supposedly fire retardant) for comfort, slushed block walls, and corrugated steel decking for pouring concrete on for a ceiling. All fire caulked and sealed tight. I used wire closet shelving for the guns to sit on and used the interlocking foam tiles on the shelf to give it a solid surface. I purchased metal upper gun rack pieces from Midway USA to keep the guns in place and somewhat organized. I tried to make it to where the only items that could catch fire in there are the wood stocks on the guns and the turkey calls....which I don't have very many that are worth much. I'd be glad to send you pictures if you're at all interested. Good luck on your project. I absolutely love mine.
Chuck

cwhitfield96

Just got mine finished, nothing too fancy but I like it.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: cwhitfield96 on March 23, 2024, 09:36:46 PM

Just got mine finished, nothing too fancy but I like it.

That turned out really good and a great idea for a old gun safe!

cwhitfield96

Thanks!