turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Florida deja vu all over again

Started by joey46, March 17, 2024, 08:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

For the 17th year my long time hunting buddy and I opened the Florida north zone at a cypress swamp in south central Florida.  This year most of our usual spots were ankle deep in water.  We set up in a higher spot and waited for first light.  Pretty quiet until the crows woke up.  Then a few distant gobbles.  Then three jakes waltzed in and stood around for at least twenty minutes eyeing my Funky Chicken decoy.  When they heard a gobble, then a closer gobble, then a real close gobble they slipped off.  This big boy came in behind three hens and started a strut, walked off a little, was called back and made the mistake of getting to within 33 steps of Larry's 12 ga loaded with some Apex 8/10 TSS. He may have flopped once.   20# 2oz, 10 1/2" beard, some of the biggest spurs we've taken since our 2008 Florida Registry bird from the same area. I usually have more opportunities to hunt than Larry so we packed up and headed back.  Hope the pictures load.  Good luck to all.

Sungrazer

Very cool.
Agreed pics on this forum are...

runngun

That is great!!! Always look forward to seeing your pictures and post!!! Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

backforty

Congrats on the great bird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Print by Madison, on Flickr

1iagobblergetter

Congrats!! Thats Awesome! Florida is a bucket list hunt for me!

Treerooster

Congrats on the gobbler. Sounds like a cool hunt.

Resize pictures before posting. There are sites that resize them, pretty easy to do. I think Shannon may have added one recently.

jdl80

Nice bird!  All of Florida is under water pretty much. I've been having to wear hip waders in spots that were dry sand last season...

Tnandy

Man alive, those are some daggers! Congratulations

joey46

Quote from: Treerooster on March 17, 2024, 10:29:49 PM
Congrats on the gobbler. Sounds like a cool hunt.

Resize pictures before posting. There are sites that resize them, pretty easy to do. I think Shannon may have added one recently.

This picture was supposedly resized.  Got a few more from this hunt I'll try using a different app.  This seemed to work.  These are the three jakes that came in first and seemed to talk things over thinking about whether or not to kick Funky Chicken's butt.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

joey46

Last picture for this thread.  This is another use for a Florida beach cart.  That's me with the cart loaded with a 20# gobbler, our chairs, decoys and other crap.  If the road is suitable it sure beats any alternative.  The cart folds down almost flat and when covered with a piece of camo netting is invisible. 

zelmo1

Congrats to you both Joey, great start. Z

Turkeybutt

Joey thanks for sharing the pics bud, we appreciate it.
Congrats to Larry on a fine bird and a great hunt for the two of you.
Now go out and get your bird and be sure to share some photos!

eggshell

joey46

Thanks for the resize.  What app?  I'm not thrilled with any I've used so far.