OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Different Mouth Call Sounds

Started by Dhamilton1, March 14, 2024, 06:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

I know they're good to have in the arsenal but are what I call "advanced calls" ("bubble cluck", whine, whistle, fly down cackle, maybe even purr) necessary for success in the turkey woods, if one has good yelps, regular clucks, and cuts (both soft calling and cracking it up) ?

I can get the purr most times decent but can't get any of the other sounds besides the yelp, cluck and cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bornagain64

Mouth calls are very important to the arsenal- especially when that Tom is within 75yds and you cannot move.
I use Hooks calls, and love the Executioner- but struggle to make those softer calls on it. I found another call they make that I am " better at it" but still struggle.
For me it comes down to being able to send less air/softer to get the sounds I want.
I am sure different cuts and types of mouth calls would make some of these calls easier.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Dhamilton1 on March 14, 2024, 06:42:24 PM
I know they're good to have in the arsenal but are what I call "advanced calls" ("bubble cluck", whine, whistle, fly down cackle, maybe even purr) necessary for success in the turkey woods, if one has good yelps, regular clucks, and cuts (both soft calling and cracking it up) ?

In my opinion, 90% or more of turkeys called to the gun are fooled using the three sounds you mention...that is, "yelps, clucks, and cutting".  For sure, there are times when some of those others sounds mentioned come into play.  It never hurts to be able to reproduce those sounds when someone thinks they are needed.  The fact is, though, that most mouth call users cannot "accurately" make some or all of those calls.

Having said that, folks that are wanting to reproduce those sounds accurately are usually using call designs that are not the best ones for that purpose. 

Here's my hint for making those turkey sounds you mention:  Try using mouth calls (single or double reed calls) that are made of thin latex (.003 or thinner) with the latex stretched very lightly.  I think you will be surprised at how much easier it is to master most of those sounds...and make them as softly as you want.  :icon_thumright: 

Dhamilton1

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 17, 2024, 09:12:16 AM
Quote from: Dhamilton1 on March 14, 2024, 06:42:24 PM

In my opinion, 90% or more of turkeys called to the gun are fooled using the three sounds you mention...that is, "yelps, clucks, and cutting".  For sure, there are times when some of those others sounds mentioned come into play.  It never hurts to be able to reproduce those sounds when someone thinks they are needed.  The fact is, though, that most mouth call users cannot "accurately" make some or all of those calls.

Having said that, folks that are wanting to reproduce those sounds accurately are usually using call designs that are not the best ones for that purpose. 

Here's my hint for making those turkey sounds you mention:  Try using mouth calls (single or double reed calls) that are made of thin latex (.003 or thinner) with the latex stretched very lightly.  I think you will be surprised at how much easier it is to master most of those sounds...and make them as softly as you want.  :icon_thumright:
What call brand or maker do you recommend for the type of call you mention at the end of your post?

bbcoach

Here's my hint for making those turkey sounds you mention:  Try using mouth calls (single or double reed calls) that are made of thin latex (.003 or thinner) with the latex stretched very lightly.  I think you will be surprised at how much easier it is to master most of those sounds...and make them as softly as you want.

I Totally AGREE with this from Gobblenut.  Last spring, I found a call manufacturer that makes a 3 reed modified ghost cut call with light stretch that will do it All.  This call allowed me to use very light diaphragm air pressure to produce purring, feeding calls, whines, whistles, kee kees and bubble clucks.  I for one, believe that yelps, cutts and clucks can kill turkeys but for me I wanted to develop the softer stuff, to bring that Hung up gobbler that is at 80 yards, to the end of my gun barrel.  I believe this call has 2 lower thin reeds of prop and the top reed is very thin black latex stretched very light.  If you are a center airflow caller this maybe what you are looking for.  It's the KLUK Crying Karen in light stretch. 

GobbleNut

Quote from: Dhamilton1 on March 17, 2024, 12:19:46 PM
What call brand or maker do you recommend for the type of call you mention at the end of your post?

Really, anybody that makes mouth calls can make these calls.  I make my own calls, so I don't have to buy them from anybody else.  Since Sam at Gooserbat regularly contributes to OG, as well as has all sorts of free call giveaways here, I would start with him as your first consideration just because of that.   :icon_thumright:

Here are the call recommendations I would start off with...
> Single reed calls constructed of any latex of thickness of .003 or thinner (.003, .0025. proph)...no cuts (Note: you will start with an uncut call first. I can outline the process I use to find the right cut configuration that should eventually produce the sound you are looking for)
> Double reed calls, also constructed of same thin materials (any combination) and with no cuts to start with.
The reed tension (stretching of the latex prior to clamping the call frame to hold that tension in the call) should be very slight...as in just enough for the reed material to lay down flat and very slightly beyond that (I don't use any sort of tension meter so I can't define the stretch that way). I also put a very slight back-tension in the latex, as well, before crimping the frame, but I am not sure that is necessary.

Now, here is the important part:  the calls you get may or may not produce the sounds you are looking for "right out of the package".  They may need to go through a tuning/cutting process (that again, I can outline) to get you to the place you want to be with them.  More details on that later, if needed...   :icon_thumright: