OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Adjustable sights ?

Started by Leadchunker, February 22, 2024, 04:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leadchunker

I have a Mossberg sa 410 turkey. My question is the gun is shooting 6 inches low and about 6 inches left. I've tried different chokes different loads even Lead all pretty much the same,will a tru glo or Williams fire site  have enough adjustment to get it over or would it take a red dot

paboxcall

At 40 yards?

I had a Mossberg 500 that shot about 4" left and 3-4" low at 40 for POI. Put a set of adjustable fiber optic rifle sights on and had them max'd out to try and compensate and still needed a little Kentucky windage.

If yours is at 40 yards not sure that will get it done for you being yours is worse, so I'd call Mossberg if I were you.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

g8rvet

I fought that with a Benelli Nova that I won in a raffle.  After sights, then red dot I was always maxed out and never quite right.  I gave the gun away. 

I agree, call Mossberg.  That is pretty far off. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Dtrkyman

Does that gun not have stock spacers?  You can adjust poa/poi on a pattern board with the bead to get it pointing where you look!

Leadchunker

Yeah, it came with a few. I've never used them in the past. May  try them with some lead to see if it helps. Just didn't figure it would correct it that much.

Tom007

Make sure the barrel screw is tight. I've seen where if this is loose even a little bit, the POI is way off.....

ChesterCopperpot

I think you're going to need a red dot or scope to get that much adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

1/8 inch adjustment goes a long way, most wing shooters shoot at the pattern board at 16 yards with a full choke, mount the gun and point at the target, do not aim it, shoot like you are wing shooting.

Shoot 3 rounds at the board and see where you land, then adjust accordingly, you may not get it perfect but close enough for a sight. 

Gooserbat

6" at 40 should be doable with truglo mag gobble dots.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Boykin Hollow

I have a set of the tru glow mag gobbler sights if you want to try them.  If they work then we can get together on a price.  Just shoot me a PM

Leadchunker

Thanks for the offer. Gotta red dot ordered.

vt35mag

A red dot or the truglo pro series gobble dots will fix it.
Sumtoy or EGW will make a good base for the red dot

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

POk3s

Every shotgun I've ever had had shot low and right. I finally spent some "bigger money" on a shotgun and exactly the same thing. I'm left eye dominant and have come to found out most shotguns are "cast" for right handed shooters. This shotgun came with shims and in a few weeks I'm going to make sure I get everything just right. The adjusting on the fly has gotten old!

I say all that just to tell you that if yours came with shims, it may be worth trying them out. You'll want it to be right for wing shooting if you're going to use it for more than just turkeys.