turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Waxing your gear

Started by kytrkyhntr, February 19, 2024, 09:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

Has anyone waxed their cotton garments like jackets and hats and vests to provide a more durable heavy feel and some form of water resistance to them? I wear a waxed cotton cap 90 percent of the time in everyday life and it's really comfortable and nice to me. I think I will wax a camo hat for upcoming turkey season along with possibly a jacket or shirt. Anyone tried this with any positive or negative results?
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Mbhyman88

I have re waxed my Filson and Barbour jackets before along with a McAllister hat, nothing to it.  The only down side I can see is that it would make garments less breathable and would cause you to sweat more in hot weather.  I prefer the "Barbour Wax Thornproof Dressing" over the Filson Oil Finish Wax.  Plenty of videos on Youtube with how tos.  A hair blow dyer makes it easy to smooth the wax out and get it into seams.

ScottTaulbee

I have several Filson and Barbour waxed jackets and hats I hunt it and prefer them over "rain gear". They work great but are hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Threetoes

I used to wear a Barbour jacket when we were racing dirt bikes and after one hot and tough race when I loosened the sleeves about a 1/2 a cup of sweat ran out each sleeve! That was 50 plus years and several pounds ago.

Greg Massey

No can't say that I've ever waxed my gear or cotton clothing. But I do the usual yearly spring spraying of Sawyers Permethrin tick spray on my clothing.  If it's light rain / i usually will use rain wear or just wait for the rain to subside.  Sometimes that day is what it is a washout ...

captpete

I have never done this nor thought of it. I could see it being useful with pants for walking through wet knee high grass/CRP/hayfield.

Notsoyoungturk

I have also re-waxed garments.  Works well for moisture but as stated before, it does not breathe well.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

10th Legionaire

Yep, I rewax my Filson work jacket every other year or so. My hunting jacket and tin cloth pants every 3-4 years as needed.
Less is more

Greg Massey

Another question ? What are y'all using to wax your clothing?

Sir-diealot

Never heard of it to be honest.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Paulmyr

I lost my Filson packer hat last year. I been using the the Filson oil wax to put on a regular cotton hat I have. Seems to be working pretty good. Rub the wax on and let it sit in sun for a awhile or hit it with a hair dryer to get the wax to melt into the cloth. 1
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

10th Legionaire

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 19, 2024, 11:17:34 AM
Another question ? What are y'all using to wax your clothing?

The Filson wax. I tried to attach a picture but the file is larger than allowed and I'm not smart enough to resize it on the iPad since the latest software update.

Just put the can of wax in the sun to soften up first. Then use a hair dryer to help work the wax into the cloth & seams

Less is more

Number17

Snowseal wax is much cheaper and made with bee's wax. No animal oils.
Heat the fabric with a dryer or heat gun and rub the wax on. Wax is good for sturdy hats, heavy coats and brush pants....it will add stiffness and weight to your garments.
None of my turkey hunting gear falls into that category so I would never wax any of it
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

kytrkyhntr

I have a cotton jacket I'd like to wax to provide some water resistance. I also have a cotton hunting hat I'd like to wax to match the waxed cotton hat I wear day to day. The main item I'd like to wax is the hat to make it more like my daily hat. Trying otter wax out, should be delivered today. Will update
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Greg Massey

I wonder if waxing could interfere with the spraying of your clothing for ticks etc