OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call recommendations

Started by Elidepew05, February 08, 2024, 11:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elidepew05

I am a beginner and killed my first bird last spring. I have a gooserbat slate call and a primos hook up box call. Looking for recommendations on other calls. Also looking for a decent turkey vest.

Sanders153

Welcome friend. On the vest, I would recommend either a Glenda Green satchel or the Grounded Impact vest.

On more box or pot call recommendations, it will depend on your hunting style in a way. I prefer wood furniture on my shotgun and turkey calls, and would recommend a Mike yinling pot call, and the Hustlin' Hen box call from Billy White.

For locators, a Harrison Hootin' stick is pretty hard to beat.

Are you wanting to branch out from friction calls and into mouth calls yet?

Canadian

As Sanders153 said, it'll depend on your style, and will, most likely, constantly be changing and developing! Im developing in a direction thats more and more minimalist, and find that what i wear now, is built around whats most important to me - water. Ive really liked the RNG200, and RNG300. I have 2 200s, and 1 300. All but one of my 200s is customized (removal of pockets, modifying of pockets, etc). Theyve all been durable, and affordable. I think whats best is to just try stuff and decide what best suits your 'style', and develop/refine in that direction. Sorry i didnt just give you a straight up answer, but the options are just limitless, and whats 'best' is different for everyone.

As for calls, im not a good person to ask, as i only run 1 type of yelper. But theres tons of people on here that know their stuff, and surely lots of people will point you in some good directions.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Well for starters I appreciate that you are using one of my pots.  As far as a vest I like the Cabela's Tactical Tater however I have moved to the chest//bino harness and am using a Glenda Green butt cushion. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Elidepew05

Yea use a mouth call on occasion.

mcw3734

I would recommend you invest in learning how to use a diaphragm call. Nothing against friction calls, I use a pot call all the time, but the ability make a wide range of calls without movement makes being fluent with a diaphragm highly advantageous.

I've been using Gooserbat's PLS diaphragm the last few years and really like it. I feel it's an easy call to use.

As for a vest, I like the Badlands Turkey Vest because it sits high and (after modifications) tight to my chest and leans towards a more minimalistic design. For running and gunning, that's what I like.

EDIT - Sorry, I didn't realize that was your previous post. In fact, you do use mouth calls, great.

Tail Feathers

Lots of good vests out there.  Check the classifieds to save some money.  For the price, I hear good things about Tidewe brand, tho I haven't seen one.  Saw one somewhere recently for $50 or so.
Calls?  Well that's wide open.  We have a number of good callmakers on this site, check the calls for sale page.  Many come with soundfiles so you can hear how they sound.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Zobo

First off, congratulations on your successful season last year! Some guys hunt with just one call or a couple of mouth calls. They're boring :TooFunny: ...but don't get too carried away buying stuff, that'll come in time. Remember more stuff doesn't equal more success.
    But, I personally would add a yelper, probably a wing bone or Jordan. Most guys like them, and it provides another, different, option. I always hunt with at least one box, one slate and one yelper/trumpet on me.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on February 09, 2024, 03:55:33 PM
    Some guys hunt with just one call or a couple of mouth calls. They're boring :TooFunny:

Beware the turkey hunter who carries one or two calls.  Likely he knows how to use them.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WV Flopper

Tom007

Quote from: Elidepew05 on February 08, 2024, 11:13:58 PM
I am a beginner and killed my first bird last spring. I have a gooserbat slate call and a primos hook up box call. Looking for recommendations on other calls. Also looking for a decent turkey vest.

Welcome. Don't mess with success. That Gooserbat pot is a proven killer for you..........try on all the different vests, see what works for your hunting style.....good luck!

Timmer

Congrats on your first bird!  If you are like most of us, your addiction has now started!

Don't discount a simple push pin call. They are easy to use and purr and yelp very nicely.  You can also use them one handed.
https://www.scheels.com/p/hunters-specialties-yelper-push-button-box-call/02129107056.html?cq_cmp=20944386370&cq_med=pla&cq_net=x&cq_plt=gp&cq_src=google_ads&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpoCevM6fhAMVOkd_AB1KYgzVEAQYASABEgKir_D_BwE&src=hardlines

Learning to use a diaphragm call definitely is an asset.  I use it when I'm sneak hunting so I don't have to hold a call in my hand and make a bunch of extra movements.  Also, the last thing every bird I shoot hears is a single putt from my mouth call.  It gets them to raise their head and gives me a nice clean shot.  You may have to play with different makes and sizes, and/or potentially cut and shape them for them to work for you.

When a bird is getting closer I set down my slate or box call and rely on a push pin with one hand, and then when it's really close just my mouth call.  I don't use a blind so the less movement the better!

As far as vests, I've owned a few brands but one has stood out by far.  I absolutely love the OLD Cabelas Tactical Tat'r 2.  They were made of a heavy duty durable cloth material.  The new ones are junk.  They are made from a thin and noisy nylon material.  You can find the old ones on Ebay.  I picked up 3 of them so I should be good until I'm 80 years old or so!  Beware they come in different sizes. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/126017094837?hash=item1d573444b5:g:RtQAAOSwE~dktJ4c&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4LOVOgxNrHvM6tsY0uiuTGgx%2FkstN0j2JVxtmZbMgEOnOyTi74n7PZKExgVIrX%2Fq7hk63Ll7uIaKCKohgsUU21MW2kD9ukXvZTDicAoxZKr%2BL6HVd3NqqdCJFJH8jWDyE3bORw4%2F%2FAUwUMdZOsODEV%2FH9hve3x2jtc2ofA0hsB4hGLRUGhB7jdv3TZOvheyB0XgVk8EDGm0cdyrYl6vC82n2Cd4Nl4KFD3h3DAVp98YAuoG4BfI4WbYdLr2%2BggiZKSqdYzmzCmpSVN1G1YDNN4p%2FrKu%2FAF7agCojpkzKwJdB%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-rUsYqyYw

Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Bedge7767

I just bought every call I could find for a while. Then I narrowed down to buying just what I liked.
Jim

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 09, 2024, 07:09:14 PM
Quote from: Zobo on February 09, 2024, 03:55:33 PM
    Some guys hunt with just one call or a couple of mouth calls. They're boring :TooFunny:

Beware the turkey hunter who carries one or two calls.  Likely he knows how to use them.

Yes beware, he's probably reaping. Who needs calls when you have an oversized fan in your vest!  :TooFunny:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Elidepew05

Quote from: Bedge7767 on February 09, 2024, 08:31:44 PM
I just bought every call I could find for a while. Then I narrowed down to buying just what I liked.
What was the calls you ended with?