OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

winchester double x 410

Started by countryboy3006, January 30, 2024, 10:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryboy3006

Anyone used the Winchester double x 410 ahells?  I found some 3in 7 1/2 shot the other day and was wondering about how it worked.  My daughter uses a stevens 301 410 and last year she shot Apex TSS which patterned great but man they are pricey.  I thought about getting a box of these to see if they would work.  Last year the birds she got were at 25 and 8 yards and I don't think I will have her taking any shots out further than that.

Dtrkyman

I shot doves and pheasants with them for years with a sweet little over under I have.

I thought I would try it for turkey and took it to the pattern board, I was shocked, looking at the patterns I couldn't believe I ever killed anything with it though I had shot hundreds of birds by then.

Top barrel was fixed full and 25 yards would be a stretch for turkeys!

I you are shooting sub 30yds they should work fine with a turkey choke, definitely at 8 and 25!

But even if apex were 10 dollars a shot they are well worth it.  Herters at BP has .410 TSS for a bit less money.  A friend shoots their 20ga and gets solid patterns.

joey46

Just a IMO but if you are shooting a .410 use TSS.  The big birds deserve a clean kill.   

zelmo1

I do a lot of pattern work before I shoot any animals/ competition. In my opinion, I couldnt use anything less than TSS in a .410. The pattern deterioration every 5 yards will turn your hair white. A slight miscalculation could end up with a wounded animal, which is unacceptable due to bad judgement. Everyone misses, but miss with enough firepower to make a clean kill.  :z-twocents: Z

runngun

The way I see this is to shoot the best you can!!! Personally, I am not going to jeopardize a hunt because of the shell I chose. TSS has been a success for many. I don't want to run the risk of injuring/wounding  game. I just want to DO my best. I am definitely not one of those people who believe that they have to kill/kill kill to be considered "successful."
I'm not going to risk a bird over the cost of a Big Mac. I don't eat Big Macs just going off the rumors.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Greg Massey

Shoot the TSS in the 410 ... It's not like your going to shoot a lot of them anyway...

WildTigerTrout

I tried them in my Mossberg Model 500 410 turkey a couple of years ago.  They did not pattern well in my gun and to be honest they were
really bad.  Standard Winchester Super X 3" #6 lead patterned much better.  I went with Federal TSS in my gun.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Bigfootwolff

I shot them in a Stevens 301 Turkey with the factory choke (.410).   At 20 yards they patterned really well, but at 30 yards there were quite a few voids, that would cause me not to shoot them atthat distance.  Best bet would be as a 20 yard and under option, with a 25 yard shot a possibility if the shooter misjudged the range by a few yards.  The manufacturer says 30 yards is the maximum range to shoot turkeys with this load. 

Ihuntoldschool

Just keep it to 30 and under the 3 inch 7.5 shot works great.
Full or XF choke.

jb1069

Before I started shooting TSS I tried these when Longbeards were hard to find. Very disappointing. This was in 12g

Gooserbat

Tss is what makes a 410 a turkey gun not vice versa.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Flagobbler

If you can't find or afford TSS, this will work inside of 30 yards with the stock x-full choke on the Steven's 301.

You start to wonder how anyone killed gobblers prior to onset of TSS...... :deadhorse:

joey46

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 04, 2024, 04:58:27 PM
Tss is what makes a 410 a turkey gun not vice versa.

100% correct