Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS Choke Constriction, what works best?

Started by Tom007, January 26, 2024, 06:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

There is a lot of experience on here regarding what choke restriction works best with TSS shot sizes. What's best for 7, 8, 9 TSS? I hear conflicting answers regarding this. Please share your ideas, experience and pattern photos if you can.....Thanks

Gooserbat

I usually stay with a . 665 in a 12 ga.  And #8,, 8.5 or 9.  I've tested from a . 660-.682.  the . 660 was tighter than I wanted without using optics.  The more open was plenty for most situations.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bbcoach

Sam, are you talking about Remington, Beretta/Benelli barrels.  I know my over bored Mossy likes a .675 or little more open choke.

zelmo1

You hooked me bro, lol. I found that .665 is best in my 12 gauge for anything I ran through it. From #5 longbeards to heavyweight #7 and TSS #9. The 20 gauge was hands down .562 and my 28 loves the .525. The only thing that was really noticeable was that the bigger TSS(#7's) didnt like the tighter chokes. I shot a .520 IC in my SA-28 and the wife liked the .525 IC. The SBE likes the .525 IC for everything I have tested in it. Z

joey46

Plenty of info in this forum's subsections.  Good luck.  Finding the perfect load for any individual gun can be a frustrating and expensive proposition at times. 

Mick2394

I would say do some research on here and narrow it down to 2 chokes, you're ultimately going to have to spend the money on tss and shoot it through your gun to see what patterns best, everybodys gun is going to be different but some research will get you close to your answer. My new haven 20 gauge was the best with a trulock .575 and apex 9s, probably would have been more expensive if it wasn't for the guys on here. It also depends on what you want out of it, a tight core for farther shots or a more open even pattern so you're not shooting a baseball at 15 yards, I wanted something somewhere in between and that trulock got me there.
Semper Fi

Tom007

Great replies and info gents. I appreciate the experience here and will review our library of posts on the subject.

Thanks, be safe

bwhana

Ditto on what has been said so far. I have done a lot of testing with different chokes and loads (many are posted on here) and found that even two identical guns will sometimes like different combos for reasons unknown to me.  Just have to pay to play and sell any chokes or ammo here if they don't pan out for your setup.  It is a fun process!

runngun

With 2 different guns, same manufacturer more than likely shoot different. Have a friend who just got a new over and under, one barrel does really well, the top barrel put up over 100 bbs LESS than the bottom. Same shell and choke tube. Definitely have to see what you have. 

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

paboxcall

12 ga: With TSS straight 8s or straight 9s with either a 3" or 2.75" shell and load, through an H&R, Winchester 1300, and a Mossberg 500, those three guns liked the .660.

20 ga: TSS straight 8s, straight 8.5s, and straight 9s, with a 2.75" shell, the Mossberg 500 preferred the .555.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

skimerhorn

Tom007

mountainhunter1

.12 gauge in the Remington - .665 IC

20 Gauge in the Mossberg, Remington, Weatherby, Franchi and Benelli - .570 IC and .575 and .585 Precision Hunter from Trulock. (The IC in our patterns will put a few more in the ten (300-330), but the two from Trulock will generally (every gun is different) put a better outer 20 count to the pattern while still hitting 290-300 OR MORE in the ten using an ounce and a 5/8's of nines. We would have to flip a coin to decide which of the three chokes is better from the patterns we have shot at a 48" x 48" sheet of paper.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Tom007

misfire

It will depend on the gun. I have two 12ga 870s, one has a JEBS .650 and the other a Rhino .660. Both of those guns I use Hevi13 #6s and the patterns are very similar and consistent. I had a Weatherby SA459 20ga with a Sumtoy .562-5 that I shot TSS #9s and found that pattern just a tad too tight for my liking, left little to no room for errors, especially at closer distances. I now have a Remington youth 870 20ga that I put a Trulock .585 and have much better results, especially at closer ranges. I also have a Franchi Affinity 20ga with a Patternmaster .570, performed well too.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net