turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unicoi Loot!!!

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 12, 2024, 11:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalmettoRon

I got there early Friday morning and got one of the last parking spots in the designated parking area. The doors were to open at 9, but they let us in early. I came for 2 particular calls, got them, spoke briefly with a few guys and was in my car headed out by 9.

There were a few cars parked along the entrance road to Unicoi, but not near as many as last year. I got there around 8:30 last year and had to park along the road probably 150-200 yds away from the lodge.

Unless there was a late arriving crowd, I suspect turnout was down from last year.

If you've never been you should go. I normally hang around for several hours, but had to be home for something else, so made the quick less than 2 hr drive home earlier than I would have liked.

The callmakers are great people, willing to talk and you meet some really nice turkey hunters in the crowd too.

aclawrence

Quote from: turkey stew on January 13, 2024, 09:32:26 AM
Was Unicoi slow Friday? Only one purchase posted and a couple others mentioned. Maybe the economy is causing a decrease in purchases.
I hope not for the makers. I know some of the craft shows I went to this year were way down in sales. Tons of people shopping but just not buying stuff.  I imagine the guys making the trip to Unicoi also have the funds to buy stuff. I really wanted to go this year but I don't even have to money to make the trip let alone buy stuff lol. Also it's on my wife's birthday weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

Like I said, I didn't get to go, BUT Anthony Ellis was kind enough to save this scratcher I had my eye on. Mud cured and rainbow poplar. That kind of friendship, fellowship, and kindness is what this thing is all about. Can't wait to strike one with it. Hope everyone there is having a blast!

turkey stew

Congrats on that sharp scratcher! I had plans to attend but health issues kicked me in the hiney! I'm sure the.people attending are having an awesome time.

greentrout

Anthony's scratchers would have been the first thing I headed towards. I saw he posted those before the show and you got a really nice looking one Chester!

Hope to see some more posts today.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Boykin Hollow

I got there at 8:30 on Friday and both lots were full.  I parked on the grass over a curb.  It looked busy to me. I walked in with someone that had never been there before and he had $2k to spend.  I talked with one of the vendors today and he had sold out and said it was very crowded.  For those of you that have never been it is The Masters of turkey call makers, The World Series, the Stanley Cub , the Super bowl and whatever soccer does , ALL IN ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tal

Quote from: Bedge7767 on January 13, 2024, 05:43:06 AM
Quote from: Yoder409 on January 13, 2024, 12:34:25 AM
Quote from: packmule on January 12, 2024, 07:30:11 PM
Quote from: Bedge7767 on January 12, 2024, 07:08:25 PM
Quote from: packmule on January 12, 2024, 07:07:39 PM
Quote from: Bedge7767 on January 12, 2024, 06:45:34 PM
Didn't get many calls but meet some great guys. Meet Steve (West Augusta), Tim (Tal) Neil (310 Gauge) and Phil (NCSwampFox). Hopefully I didn't forget anyone.

I'm not sure I'd even admit to meeting Tal, let alone brag about it!  :TooFunny:

He's a great guy and he can play that tube call.

100%

All true.   All of it !!!    ;D

I knew I forgot someone. Got to meet Don (Yoder409) too.
My friends...  :TooFunny:  I did get my Yoder Pro-Staffer t-shirt! I ate in the Tavern one night and had to fight my way out of there to keep the holster, a lot of people were pawing it. It was good seeing everyone

Yoder409

Quote from: tal on January 13, 2024, 12:13:00 PM
Didn't get many calls but meet some great guys. Meet Steve (West Augusta), Tim (Tal) Neil (310 Gauge) and Phil (NCSwampFox). Hopefully I didn't forget anyone.

I'm not sure I'd even admit to meeting Tal, let alone brag about it!  :TooFunny:

100%

My friends...  :TooFunny:  I did get my Yoder Pro-Staffer t-shirt! I ate in the Tavern one night and had to fight my way out of there to keep the holster, a lot of people were pawing it. It was good seeing everyone

GREAT to see you again, my friend (and newest pro-staffer!!!) !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 13, 2024, 06:54:06 PM
Quote from: tal on January 13, 2024, 12:13:00 PM

100%

GREAT to see you again, my friend (and newest pro-staffer!!!) !!!
Did you happen to get the shirt autographed?

davisd9

Lots of great calls and even got a few myself. The calls are great but the camaraderie is what makes it special. Got to meet a couple friends I have been in a group text for years. Got to meet guys I speak over the phone with. See old friends and meet new ones. Was blessed that Mr. Danny Ellis had some of his collection there and he allowed me to play the original Henry Davis and Charles Jordan calls. Also ran an Archibald Rutledge box call. Mr. Dave Cirincione had a beautiful Billy Buice Dial Tone that was a great call, plus many other great calls. Just a great time all the way around!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

crow

Quote from: davisd9 on January 13, 2024, 07:32:03 PM
Lots of great calls and even got a few myself. The calls are great but the camaraderie is what makes it special. Got to meet a couple friends I have been in a group text for years. Got to meet guys I speak over the phone with. See old friends and meet new ones. Was blessed that Mr. Danny Ellis had some of his collection there and he allowed me to play the original Henry Davis and Charles Jordan calls. Also ran an Archibald Rutledge box call. Mr. Dave Cirincione had a beautiful Billy Buice Dial Tone that was a great call, plus many other great calls. Just a great time all the way around!

Very cool having the opportunity to play those historic calls

ChesterCopperpot

For those of us that couldn't go, Unicoi has been posting a lot of great content from the convention on YouTube including the Mark Prudhomme and Harold Knight Seminar here: https://youtu.be/ShfGVsz1WZ0?si=3RWtCb6gySGQrUdq

Gobbler428

This was my first time attending Unicoi and it is as good as everyone says. Got there late Thursday afternoon and there were already a lot of folks there. I got to meet and speak with many of the best Callmakers in the world, many of whom I have text with or spoken to in the past but nothing beats being able to meet and talk to them in person. That
alone is worth the price of admission. I also was able to meet and speak with several guys I have spoken to,text with and bought calls etc. from here on OG. It was really great to be able to put a name with a face. With all the negative issues going on in our country and the world it was  fantastic to be around so many positive, like minded,really great people. As far as my loot is concerned, I didn't purchase much but what I got taped me out and I really like both of them a lot.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Gobbler428 on January 14, 2024, 09:14:41 AM

As far as my loot is concerned, I didn't purchase much but what I got taped me out and I really like both of them a lot.

Looks like one from Ant and one from Seth, and I bet they're both players. Love the extra details like the inserts on that X trumpet especially.

Prohunter3509

Well here is my loot from Friday
Steve mann box mah. With maple top
Darrin dawkins butternut with walnut and a aluminum slate.
Harold knight tube and prudomme tube.
Lonzo's purple slate
Scpossum tube
Leather mouth call holder
2 extra strikers purplheart